all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* place cursor automatically
@ 2003-08-18  8:57 Uwe Mayer
From: Uwe Mayer @ 2003-08-18  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

When I use Emacs in a Programming Mode that uses "{" and "}" to enclose
blocks I'd like it to complete the closing brace automatically, or at least
jump into the Block when I enter the closing brace, so I want to reduce:

"{" <ret> "}"

How do you do that, or where do you start off? Can that behaviour be
configured or will I habe to go into lisp?

Thanks
Uwe

* Re: place cursor automatically
@ 2003-08-18 12:32 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-18 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Uwe Mayer <merkosh@hadiko.de> writes:

> When I use Emacs in a Programming Mode that uses "{" and "}" to enclose
> blocks I'd like it to complete the closing brace automatically, or at least
> jump into the Block when I enter the closing brace, so I want to reduce:

> How do you do that, or where do you start off? Can that behaviour be
> configured or will I habe to go into lisp?

For parentheses you can type M-(.

There are various packages that do something similar for other
parentheses-like characters.  I think the "Autotype" manual that
comes with Emacs (C-h i d m Autotype RET) explains this.
--
Two cafe au lait please, but without milk.