all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ess comment buffer....
@ 2003-08-05  2:35 Jeff D. Hamann
From: Jeff D. Hamann @ 2003-08-05  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sure this is a FAQ question, but I've been trying to figure out how to
find the "comment selected buffer" so that I can use the C-c C-c keys to
comment out a selected  region in ESS as well as use the C-u C-c C-c to
uncomment the code. I'm guessing it doesn't matter that I'm using R
either...

Thanks,
Jeff.

---
Jeff D. Hamann
Hamann, Donald and Associates, Inc.
PO Box 1421
Corvallis, Oregon USA 97339-1421
(office) 541-753-7333
(cell) 541-740-5988
jeff_hamann@hamanndonald.com
www.hamanndonald.com

* Re: ess comment buffer....
@ 2003-08-05  7:17 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2003-08-05  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff D. Hamann <jeff_hamann@hamanndonald.com> wrote on Mon, 4 Aug 2003
19:35:05 -0700:
> I'm sure this is a FAQ question, but I've been trying to figure out how
> to find the "comment selected buffer" so that I can use the C-c C-c
> keys to comment out a selected  region in ESS as well as use the C-u
> C-c C-c to uncomment the code. I'm guessing it doesn't matter that I'm
> using R either...

C-c C-c works on the current buffer, the one which would change if you
typed some stuff in.

What do you mean by "ESS" and "R" here?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

* Re: ess comment buffer....
@ 2003-08-05  9:58 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-08-05  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 05 2003, Jeff D. Hamann wrote:

> I'm sure this is a FAQ question, but I've been trying to figure out how to
> find the "comment selected buffer" so that I can use the C-c C-c keys to
> comment out a selected  region in ESS as well as use the C-u C-c C-c to
> uncomment the code.

You can mark the whole buffer before using these commands:

,----[ `C-h k C-x h' ]
| C-x h runs the command mark-whole-buffer
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
| (mark-whole-buffer)
|
| Put point at beginning and mark at end of buffer.
| You probably should not use this function in Lisp programs;
| it is usually a mistake for a Lisp function to use any subroutine
| that uses or sets the mark.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: ess comment buffer....
@ 2003-08-05 10:48 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-05 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeff D. Hamann" <jeff_hamann@hamanndonald.com> writes:

> I'm sure this is a FAQ question, but I've been trying to figure out how to
> find the "comment selected buffer" so that I can use the C-c C-c keys to
> comment out a selected  region in ESS as well as use the C-u C-c C-c to
> uncomment the code. I'm guessing it doesn't matter that I'm using R
> either...

In recent versions of Emacs, M-; ought to comment/uncomment the
region, depending on whether it was not/was commented before.  Does
it work?  Does this help?  (I'm not sure I understood your question.)
--
Two cafe au lait please, but without milk.

* Re: ess comment buffer....
@ 2003-08-05 13:53   ` Jeff D. Hamann
From: Jeff D. Hamann @ 2003-08-05 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ah ha! that's what I was looking for.... Now I simply need to remap the
command to C-c C-c/C-u C-c C-c so I can comment/uncomment as I do in C mode
only I'm not sure how to do that, yet.

Thanks,
Jeff.

@ 2003-08-06 15:17     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-06 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeff D. Hamann" <jeff_hamann@hamanndonald.com> writes:

> Ah ha! that's what I was looking for.... Now I simply need to remap the
> command to C-c C-c/C-u C-c C-c so I can comment/uncomment as I do in C mode
> only I'm not sure how to do that, yet.

Alternatively, you could start using M-; in C mode, too.  It is a
shorter key combo, anyway :-)
--
Two cafe au lait please, but without milk.