all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs-friendly bindings for /usr/bin/screen?
@ 2003-08-04 13:54 J Krugman
From: J Krugman @ 2003-08-04 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to post a set of key
bindings for the program screen that do not interfere too much with
Emacs.  (The default screen key bindings start off on the wrong
foot with Emacs' "beginning-of-line" [C-a] as its command key.)

Thanks!

	-Jill

* Re: Emacs-friendly bindings for /usr/bin/screen?
@ 2003-08-04 14:53 ` Jim Ottaway
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jim Ottaway @ 2003-08-04 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to post a set of key
> bindings for the program screen that do not interfere too much with
> Emacs.  (The default screen key bindings start off on the wrong
> foot with Emacs' "beginning-of-line" [C-a] as its command key.)

I set the command key to C-t instead, since I use transpose-chars less
frequently than beginning-of-line.

In .screenrc:

escape ^Tt

If I need to transpose, it's just C-tt

[and C-t is the default in ratpoison, the screen-like window manager,
so it's handy to have the same key binding in both]

Regards,

Jim Ottaway

* Re: Emacs-friendly bindings for /usr/bin/screen?
@ 2003-08-04 15:27 ` V. L. Simpson
       [not found] ` <mailman.55.1060010297.29551.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: V. L. Simpson @ 2003-08-04 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

J Krugman <jill_krugman@yahoo.com> writes:

> I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to post a set of key
> bindings for the program screen that do not interfere too much with
> Emacs.  (The default screen key bindings start off on the wrong
> foot with Emacs' "beginning-of-line" [C-a] as its command key.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> 	-Jill

Put this in your .screenrc:
escape ``  (That's two backtick characters.)

Now you just hit " ` some-screen-key " to run screen commands.(No double
quotes obviously)  C-a will now work properly for emacs.

You can use any two characters after the escape option.  I use the
backtick because I have little use for it in day-to-day editing.

Have fun,
vls

* Re: Emacs-friendly bindings for /usr/bin/screen?
@ 2003-08-04 15:29 ` Reiner Steib
       [not found] ` <mailman.55.1060010297.29551.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-08-04 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 04 2003, J Krugman wrote:

> (The default screen key bindings start off on the wrong foot with
> Emacs' "beginning-of-line" [C-a] as its command key.)

See `escape xy' in screen(1).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

@ 2003-08-05 12:40   ` J Krugman
From: J Krugman @ 2003-08-05 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm trying `` and ^Tt out, though it
looks like ^Tt is the one I will end up using (I use backticks a
fair bit when I work on the shell).

I also got rid of the ^X and x bindings, that were invoking lockscreen
on me!

	-Jill