all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs support for Perl's debugger?
@ 2003-07-31 19:14 Irving Kimura
       [not found] ` <1ieWa.570672$ro6.12958075@news2.calgary.shaw.ca>
From: Irving Kimura @ 2003-07-31 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

The manpage for perldebtut says that "[Perl's debugger's] command
line interface is tightly integrated with an emacs extension", but
it doesn't say what this Emacs extension is, or where to find it.
The manpage for perldebug also alludes to DB/Emacs integration,
but is equally vague on the details.  Where can I find more
information on Perl DB/Emacs integration?

Thanks!

	-Irv

* Re: Emacs support for Perl's debugger?
       [not found] ` <1ieWa.570672$ro6.12958075@news2.calgary.shaw.ca>
@ 2003-07-31 22:20   ` Irving Kimura
From: Irving Kimura @ 2003-07-31 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <1ieWa.570672$ro6.12958075@news2.calgary.shaw.ca> Andrew Taylor <ataylor@its.to> writes:

>Irving Kimura wrote:
>> Where can I find more
>> information on Perl DB/Emacs integration?

>You are looking for GUD, the grand unified debugger.  Look up GUD in the
>emacs info page for the details.  "M-x perldb" starts it; if you're
>familiar with perldb, it should be mostly self explanatory.

Thanks, but MAN!, that GUD is *hard* to find!  If you know where
I can download it from, please let me know.  I'll keep Googlin',
but I'm running out of steam...

@ 2003-07-31 23:57     ` Andrew Taylor
From: Andrew Taylor @ 2003-07-31 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Irving Kimura wrote:

> Thanks, but MAN!, that GUD is *hard* to find!  If you know where
> I can download it from, please let me know.  I'll keep Googlin',
> but I'm running out of steam...

Have you tried looking in /usr/share/emacs/*/lisp?  GUD is bundled with
emacs and xemacs.  If you just want GUD, get it from
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs/.

--
Andrew

@ 2003-08-01  2:00 ` Jason Earl
From: Jason Earl @ 2003-08-01  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Irving Kimura <irving_kimura@lycos.com> writes:

> The manpage for perldebtut says that "[Perl's debugger's] command
> line interface is tightly integrated with an emacs extension", but
> it doesn't say what this Emacs extension is, or where to find it.
> The manpage for perldebug also alludes to DB/Emacs integration,
> but is equally vague on the details.  Where can I find more
> information on Perl DB/Emacs integration?
>
> Thanks!
>
> 	-Irv

M-x perldb <RET> FILE <RET>

You might also want to go through Emacs' info files searching for
"perldb" and "gud" (Grand Unified Debugger).  Then feel free to ask
more questions.

Jason

@ 2003-08-01 10:45 ` Martin Jost
From: Martin Jost @ 2003-08-01 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Irving Kimura" <irving_kimura@lycos.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:bgbpq6$iv9$1@reader1.panix.com...
> The manpage for perldebtut says that "[Perl's debugger's] command
> line interface is tightly integrated with an emacs extension", but
> it doesn't say what this Emacs extension is, or where to find it.
> The manpage for perldebug also alludes to DB/Emacs integration,
> but is equally vague on the details.  Where can I find more
> information on Perl DB/Emacs integration?

Maybe best thing is to get and install Ilyas cperl.el.
It not only lets you start the debugger from a Menu-Entry perl/Debugger, it also has lots of other goodies.

It should come with newer emacsen.
If not, or if your version is dated (4.32 is current), get it from:
ftp://ftp.math.ohio-state.edu/pub/users/ilya/cperl-mode.el

HTH

Martin

* Re: Emacs support for Perl's debugger?
@ 2003-08-01 16:52   ` Ilya Zakharevich
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2003-08-01 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Jost
<Martin.Jost@siemens.com>], who wrote in article <bgdgct$o8t$1@news.mch.sbs.de>:
> If not, or if your version is dated (4.32 is current), get it from:
> ftp://ftp.math.ohio-state.edu/pub/users/ilya/cperl-mode.el

Current is 5.0; available, as usual, in

  ilyaz.org/software/emacs/

Hope this helps,
Ilya

* Re: Emacs support for Perl's debugger?
@ 2003-08-04  9:58     ` Martin Jost
From: Martin Jost @ 2003-08-04  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ilya Zakharevich" <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:bge5sj$2ve6$1@agate.berkeley.edu...
> Martin Jost
> <Martin.Jost@siemens.com>], who wrote in article <bgdgct$o8t$1@news.mch.sbs.de>:
> > If not, or if your version is dated (4.32 is current), get it from:
> > ftp://ftp.math.ohio-state.edu/pub/users/ilya/cperl-mode.el
>
> Current is 5.0; available, as usual, in
>
>   ilyaz.org/software/emacs/

Thanks for the info !
I neither knew about this site, nor about the new version !

> Hope this helps,

Yes it did !
(As does cperl itself nearly every day !)

Thanks

Martin