all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* (Emacs+CVS) vc-toggle-read-only (cvs checkin) question
@ 2003-08-12 19:20 Christian Seberino
From: Christian Seberino @ 2003-08-12 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

vc-toggle-read-only lets me checkin changes to CVS from Emacs.

When I have completed the log entry I must type "C-cc" to

finish the job.

*Is it possible to change C-cc to something else just when
 I am in the middle of this command??*

Chris

* Re: (Emacs+CVS) vc-toggle-read-only (cvs checkin) question
@ 2003-08-13 17:41 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-08-13 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christian Seberino wrote:

> vc-toggle-read-only lets me checkin changes to CVS from Emacs.
>
> When I have completed the log entry I must type "C-cc" to
> finish the job.

I think you mean `C-c C-c'.

> *Is it possible to change C-cc to something else just when
>  I am in the middle of this command??*

No, because you are not in the middle of any command.
vc-toggle-read-only sets up the *VC-log* buffer and returns.  In that
buffer, which is in vc-log-mode, `C-c C-c' is bound to
vc-finish-logentry.  You can switch to other buffers and execute

arbitrary editing commands before returning to the *VC-log* buffer
and finishing your entry (if ever).

In fundamental-mode, `C-c C-c' is unbound, in other modes it may be
bound to some command other than vc-finish-logentry.

What problem are you trying to solve?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: (Emacs+CVS) vc-toggle-read-only (cvs checkin) question
@ 2003-08-13 23:10   ` Christian Seberino
From: Christian Seberino @ 2003-08-13 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin

Thanks for the help.  Like many people I bounded my own key combos
to various Emacs functions with global-set-key in .emacs.

I just prefer another key combo to announce that I am done
editing my CVS log other than C-c C-c.

>From your email it sounds like this would be as simple
as something like this...

     (global-set-key   "\C-as"  'vc-finish-logentry)

Or whatever key combo one chooses.

You mentioned vc-log-mode.  Do I rather have to
define some kind of hook to vc-log-mode and add this
key combo definition there?

Chris

@ 2003-08-14 20:00     ` David Andersson
From: David Andersson @ 2003-08-14 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

seberino@spawar.navy.mil (Christian Seberino) writes:

> Thanks for the help.  Like many people I bounded my own key combos
> to various Emacs functions with global-set-key in .emacs.
>
> I just prefer another key combo to announce that I am done
> editing my CVS log other than C-c C-c.
>
> From your email it sounds like this would be as simple
> as something like this...
>
>      (global-set-key   "\C-as"  'vc-finish-logentry)

I would not recommend GLOBAL-set-key for this.
1) It may be that the command 'vc-finish-logentry' would not do the
   right thing if it is issued in a buffer that is not the *VC-log* buffer.
2) In many other modes the keys combo C-c C-c is used for what is
   the natural "finish" command in their modes. (E.g this message
   is sent using C-c C-c.)
   Such modes will override your global definition (wouldn't they?),
   so they will still work, but it not very elegant.

In stead define a command on a key in the mode where it will be used.
The key map in the *VC-Log* buffer is named 'vc-log-entry-mode'
and thus you can have this in your .emacs:

    (define-key vc-log-entry-mode "\C-as" 'vc-finish-logentry)

But first i think you will have to undefine C-a (go to beginning of line)
so it can be a prefix key.

(I have not tested this)