all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How make Emacs start with BIGGER xterm??? Can I set width and height??
@ 2003-01-18  0:16 Christian Seberino
From: Christian Seberino @ 2003-01-18  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I usually like a bigger xterm when I launch Emacs and was wondering
if I could put something in .emacs to avoid having to set size
with the mouse all the time.

thanks!

Chris

* Re: How make Emacs start with BIGGER xterm??? Can I set width and height??
@ 2003-01-18  4:27 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2003-01-18  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Christian> I usually like a bigger xterm when I launch Emacs and was
 Christian> wondering if I could put something in .emacs to avoid
 Christian> having to set size with the mouse all the time.

Why are you running emacs within an xterm rather than within its own
window?

You could start the xterm with the geometry command line argument or
set a default size with your .Xresources e.g.

prompt$ xterm -geometry 82x31

or within .Xresources

XTerm*geometry: 82x31

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: How make Emacs start with BIGGER xterm??? Can I set width and height??
@ 2003-01-18  5:19   ` Billy O'Connor
From: Billy O'Connor @ 2003-01-18  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> writes:

>  Christian> I usually like a bigger xterm when I launch Emacs and was
>  Christian> wondering if I could put something in .emacs to avoid
>  Christian> having to set size with the mouse all the time.
>
> Why are you running emacs within an xterm rather than within its own
> window?
>
> You could start the xterm with the geometry command line argument or
> set a default size with your .Xresources e.g.
>
> prompt$ xterm -geometry 82x31
>
> or within .Xresources
>
> XTerm*geometry: 82x31

Damn, I was hoping he merely misspoke, and really *meant* running
emacs in it's own window.  I was also hoping you'd be thinking the
same thing, and tell him how to make the emacs window bigger on
startup.  :)

--
Billy O'Connor
Editor, Beyond Linux From Scratch   http://beyond.linuxfromscratch.org

* Re: How make Emacs start with BIGGER xterm??? Can I set width and height??
@ 2003-01-18  6:16     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2003-01-18  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Billy> Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> writes:

 Christian> I usually like a bigger xterm when I launch Emacs and was
 Christian> wondering if I could put something in .emacs to avoid
 Christian> having to set size with the mouse all the time.

 >> Why are you running emacs within an xterm rather than within its
 >> own window?
 >>
 >> You could start the xterm with the geometry command line argument
 >> or set a default size with your .Xresources e.g.
 >>
 >> prompt$ xterm -geometry 82x31
 >>
 >> or within .Xresources
 >>
 >> XTerm*geometry: 82x31

 Billy> Damn, I was hoping he merely misspoke, and really *meant*
 Billy> running emacs in it's own window.  I was also hoping you'd be
 Billy> thinking the same thing, and tell him how to make the emacs
 Billy> window bigger on startup.  :)

Well, if he did, the same could apply except you substitute
emacs*geometry for xterm*geometry. I think emacs also obeys the
-geometry command line setting as well.

With emacs, there is also an additional option in that I think you can
set the initial-frame-alist and specify a size there (and probably
also default-frame-alist) in your .emacs file

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: How make Emacs start with BIGGER xterm??? Can I set width and height??
@ 2003-01-18 13:43 ` Christopher J. White
From: Christopher J. White @ 2003-01-18 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

cs> I usually like a bigger xterm when I launch Emacs and was wondering
cs> if I could put something in .emacs to avoid having to set size
cs> with the mouse all the time.

I'm going to assume you mean starting an emacs session that
opens it's own window which is not really in an xterm.
Ie., running a version of emacs with X11 support.

As someone else alluded to, you can put geometry info
in the default-frame-alist, this controls the creation of
new frames as well:

(setq default-frame-alist `((width . 80) (height . 50)))

You might also need to set initial-frame-alist to the same
to control the first emacs frame:

(setq initial -frame-alist `((width . 80) (height . 50)))

I don't need to do this in  my configuration, but I can't
remember why (been using this .emacs for a long time....)

...cj

 Christopher J. White                                    chris@grierwhite.com

* Re: How make Emacs start with BIGGER xterm??? Can I set width and height??
@ 2003-01-29 23:20   ` Christian Seberino
From: Christian Seberino @ 2003-01-29 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks to all.  This was what I was looking for.

Chris