all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#1150: 23.0.60; Ibuffer's menubar menu should be named Ibuffer, not View
@ 2008-10-12 16:54 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-10-12 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

emacs -Q
M-x ibuffer

The menubar menu `View' should be named `Ibuffer'. It is all about and
only about Ibuffer. It is not about viewing in general, and it is by
no means only about viewing. The last menu item is (rightfully)
`Customize Ibuffer', not `Customize View' or `Customize Viewing'.

This is about Ibuffer, and only Ibuffer. Someone looking for a menu
about Ibuffer will not look for `View', and someone looking for a menu
about displaying or viewing will not expect to find only stuff about
Ibuffer.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-10-03 on LENNART-69DE564
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/g/include
-fno-crossjumping'

* bug#1150: 23.0.60; Ibuffer's menubar menu should be named Ibuffer, not View
@ 2008-10-12 17:12 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-10-12 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 1150, emacs-pretest-bug

> emacs -Q
> M-x ibuffer
>
> The menubar menu `View' should be named `Ibuffer'. It is all about and
> only about Ibuffer. It is not about viewing in general, and it is by
> no means only about viewing. The last menu item is (rightfully)
> `Customize Ibuffer', not `Customize View' or `Customize Viewing'.
>
> This is about Ibuffer, and only Ibuffer. Someone looking for a menu
> about Ibuffer will not look for `View', and someone looking for a menu
> about displaying or viewing will not expect to find only stuff about
> Ibuffer.
>
> In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
>  of 2008-10-03 on LENNART-69DE564
> Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
> configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt
> --cflags -Ic:/g/include
> -fno-crossjumping'

My bad. I didn't notice that there were additional Ibuffer menus, `Operate' and
`Mark'. I withdraw most of what I said.

However, the `View' menu is still inappropriately named - it includes things
that have nothing to do with viewing (`Diff with file', `Toggle Auto Mode',
`Customize Ibuffer', `Filter', `Filter Groups'). It seems to be a catch-all - an
`Ibuffer' menu for things that don't fit in `Operate' or `Mark'. And menu
`Operate' includes some viewing menu items.

I don't have a better name in mind than `View'. Instead, I'd suggest perhaps
reorganizing the menus. The organization of the Dired menus is superior and
might serve as a partial model.

* bug#1150: 23.0.60; Ibuffer's menubar menu should be named Ibuffer, not View
@ 2016-04-27 17:00   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-04-27 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 1150

> However, the `View' menu is still inappropriately named - it includes things
> that have nothing to do with viewing (`Diff with file', `Toggle Auto Mode',
> `Customize Ibuffer', `Filter', `Filter Groups'). It seems to be a catch-all - an
> `Ibuffer' menu for things that don't fit in `Operate' or `Mark'. And menu
> `Operate' includes some viewing menu items.
>
> I don't have a better name in mind than `View'. Instead, I'd suggest perhaps
> reorganizing the menus. The organization of the Dired menus is superior and
> might serve as a partial model.

Yes, the organisation doesn't seem ideal.  I think the "diff" should go
to "Operate", at least.  I don't mind the filter things in the "View"
menu -- they do alter what you're viewing...

Customize/toggle don't seem to belong in any of the existing menus.

* bug#1150: 23.0.60; Ibuffer's menubar menu should be named Ibuffer, not View
@ 2016-04-27 17:06     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-04-27 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 1150

> "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:
>
>> However, the `View' menu is still inappropriately named - it includes things
>> that have nothing to do with viewing (`Diff with file', `Toggle Auto Mode',
>> `Customize Ibuffer', `Filter', `Filter Groups'). It seems to be a catch-all - an
>> `Ibuffer' menu for things that don't fit in `Operate' or `Mark'. And menu
>> `Operate' includes some viewing menu items.
>>
>> I don't have a better name in mind than `View'. Instead, I'd suggest perhaps
>> reorganizing the menus. The organization of the Dired menus is superior and
>> might serve as a partial model.
>
> Yes, the organisation doesn't seem ideal.  I think the "diff" should go
> to "Operate", at least.  I don't mind the filter things in the "View"
> menu -- they do alter what you're viewing...
>
> Customize/toggle don't seem to belong in any of the existing menus.

Actually, the "toggle auto mode" does kinda belong in the "View" menu,
as long as we consider that menu to be both about viewing the buffers,
and organising the ibuffer buffer itself.

So I'd suggest just moving the "diff" to "Operate" and removing the
customisation menu item.  I think that's a pretty unusual item to have
in the menu?

* bug#1150: 23.0.60; Ibuffer's menubar menu should be named Ibuffer, not View
@ 2016-04-27 17:21       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-04-27 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 1150

I'm OK with whatever you decide to do about this bug.
Thanks for taking a look at it.