all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* a mode-specific hack-local-variables-hook ?
@ 2015-06-17 19:54 Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2015-06-17 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I recently added this to my init.el

  (add-hook 'hack-local-variables-hook 'whitespace-mode)

so that whitespace-mode would see my local variables before applying its rules.

I did this in my major mode hook, thinking that it would just add it to the current mode's hooks, but it seems to be a global hook. Other than putting in an "(if (eq major-mode 'scala-mode) ... )" type test in a lambda?

Best regards,
Sam

* Re: a mode-specific hack-local-variables-hook ?
@ 2015-06-17 20:19 ` Sam Halliday
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5204.1434575192.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sam Halliday @ 2015-06-17 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday, 17 June 2015 20:54:43 UTC+1, Sam Halliday  wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently added this to my init.el
>
>   (add-hook 'hack-local-variables-hook 'whitespace-mode)
>
> so that whitespace-mode would see my local variables before applying its rules.
>
> I did this in my major mode hook, thinking that it would just add it to the current mode's hooks, but it seems to be a global hook. Other than putting in an "(if (eq major-mode 'scala-mode) ... )" type test in a lambda?

Apologies, I appear to have completely failed to write a complete sentence here!

What I meant to say was:

I did this in my major mode hook, thinking that it would just add it to the current mode's hooks, but it seems to be a global hook. Other than putting in an "(if (eq major-mode 'scala-mode) ... )" type test in a lambda (outside of my major mode hook), is there any other way to set a buffer-local hack-local-variables-hook?

* Re: a mode-specific hack-local-variables-hook ?
@ 2015-06-17 21:06   ` John Mastro
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5204.1434575192.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: John Mastro @ 2015-06-17 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Halliday, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> I did this in my major mode hook, thinking that it would just add it
> to the current mode's hooks, but it seems to be a global hook. Other
> than putting in an "(if (eq major-mode 'scala-mode) ... )" type test
> in a lambda (outside of my major mode hook), is there any other way to
> set a buffer-local hack-local-variables-hook?

The function `add-hook' has an optional fourth argument, LOCAL, about
which the `add-hook' docstring says:

    The optional fourth argument, LOCAL, if non-nil, says to modify
    the hook's buffer-local value rather than its global value.
    This makes the hook buffer-local, and it makes t a member of the
    buffer-local value.  That acts as a flag to run the hook
    functions of the global value as well as in the local value.

Does this do what you need?

    (add-hook 'hack-local-variables-hook 'whitespace-mode nil t)

--
john

@ 2015-06-17 21:19     ` Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2015-06-17 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Fantastic! Perfect for my needs. I was looking at the docs for all the wrong things.