all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* managing my keybindings
@ 2010-05-08  0:38 LanX
From: LanX @ 2010-05-08  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I'm looking for suggestions how to manage my keybindings.

I would like to:

a) list them (only *my* keybindings)
b) easily navigate to the place where they are defined
c) attach documentation  to them
d) warn me about conflicts

my first idea is to create wrapper functions/macros  `my-global-set-
key' and `my-local-set-key' which buffer the necessary informations
when defining the bindings.

But chances are high that I'm reinventing the wheel, so please gimme
some ideas! 8)

Cheers
  Rolf

PS: another "brute force" approach would be creating an extra
function starting with "mykey-" for every keybinding. I could list
them by this naming convention and navigate to the files ... well not
too elegant...

* Re: managing my keybindings
@ 2010-05-08  2:09 ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found] ` <mailman.0.1273284589.603.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-05-08  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LanX; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 2:38 AM, LanX <lanx.perl@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm looking for suggestions how to manage my keybindings.
>
> I would like to:
>
> a) list them (only *my* keybindings)

Use define-minor-mode and make a global minor mode. Define your key
bindings there.

> b) easily navigate to the place where they are defined

Define them in one place.

> c) attach documentation  to them

Documentation are bound to functions, not key bindings. (You can add
comments where you bind the keys, of course.)

> d) warn me about conflicts

Use what is said in "Key binding conventions", see

  M-: (info "(elisp) Key binding conventions")

> my first idea is to create wrapper functions/macros  `my-global-set-
> key' and `my-local-set-key' which buffer the necessary informations
> when defining the bindings.
>
> But chances are high that I'm reinventing the wheel, so please gimme
> some ideas! 8)
>
> Cheers
>  Rolf
>
> PS: another "brute force" approach would be creating an extra
> function starting with "mykey-" for every keybinding. I could list
> them by this naming convention and navigate to the files ... well not
> too elegant...

* Re: managing my keybindings
@ 2010-05-08 12:22   ` LanX
From: LanX @ 2010-05-08 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Lennart

> Use define-minor-mode and make a global minor mode. Define your key
> bindings there.

Thanks define-minor-mode is an idea ... but IMHO wouldn't help when
extending major-mode keybindings ...

> > c) attach documentation  to them
>
> Documentation are bound to functions, not key bindings. (You can add
> comments where you bind the keys, of course.)

actually according to `define-key' documentation the DEF part in a keymap
can hold much more than just a command, such that it should be possible to
associate meta informations to a key binding.

Cheers
  Rolf

* Re: managing my keybindings
       [not found] ` <mailman.0.1273284589.603.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-05-09 11:29   ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2010-05-09 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 2:38 AM, LanX <lanx.perl@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm looking for suggestions how to manage my keybindings.
>>
>> I would like to:
>>
>> a) list them (only *my* keybindings)
>
> Use define-minor-mode and make a global minor mode. Define your key
> bindings there.

That's a good idea, but how do we assert, this modes map stays
at the top of minor-mode-map-alist ?

-ap

* Re: managing my keybindings
@ 2010-05-09 11:55     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-05-09 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Politz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 2:38 AM, LanX <lanx.perl@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I'm looking for suggestions how to manage my keybindings.
>>>
>>> I would like to:
>>>
>>> a) list them (only *my* keybindings)
>>
>> Use define-minor-mode and make a global minor mode. Define your key
>> bindings there.
>>

> That's a good idea, but how do we assert, this modes map stays
> at the top of minor-mode-map-alist ?

That is a bit harder, but you can use the tool "Rebind My Choosen
Keys" (ie rebind-keys-mode) in nXhtml for that.

* Re: managing my keybindings
       [not found] ` <mailman.0.1273284589.603.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-05-09 18:21 ` LanX
From: LanX @ 2010-05-09 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I found this approach using aliases

in a config file tst.el I write
---------------------------
(defalias 'my-comment-indent 'comment-indent "DOCUMENTATION")

(local-set-key "#" 'my-comment-indent)
----------------------------

C-h k # will show me now

-----------------------------
# runs the command my-comment-indent, which is an alias for `comment-
indent' in
  `tst.el'.

It is bound to #.

(my-comment-indent &optional CONTINUE)

DOCUMENTATION
------------------------------

Now in "C-h m" and "C-h b" I will be able to identify my bindings
because of the leading "my-".

Creating a hs-minor-mode would be sufficient for hiding the rest.

What I'm struggling with is the best way to create a defmacro/defun
called "mine" such that I can automate the aliasing and can write
something like

(local-set-key "#" (mine 'comment-indent) )

* Re: managing my keybindings
@ 2010-05-09 19:12   ` LanX
From: LanX @ 2010-05-09 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

WORKS! :)

-----------------------------
(defun mine (func comment) ""
  (let (my-func)
    (setq my-func (intern (concat "my-" (symbol-name func))))
    (defalias  my-func func comment)
    my-func
    )
)

(local-set-key (kbd "M-a") (mine 'mark-whole-buffer "optional Comment
for Binding"))

(describe-key (kbd "M-a"))
--------------------------

* Re: managing my keybindings
@ 2010-05-10 14:10     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-05-10 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>   (let (my-func)
>     (setq my-func (intern (concat "my-" (symbol-name func))))

This is kind of like:

   int my-func = 0;
   my-func = <somethingelse>;

except that Elisp's semantics make it harder for the (byte-)compiler to
eliminate the redundant initialization.

A generally good rule of thumb is "setq (aka assignment) is bad for your
karma".  So just write:

   (let ((my-func (intern (concat "my-" (symbol-name func)))))

-- Stefan

* Re: managing my keybindings
@ 2010-05-10 14:25       ` LanX
From: LanX @ 2010-05-10 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> A generally good rule of thumb is "setq (aka assignment) is bad for your
> karma".  So just write:
>
>    (let ((my-func (intern (concat "my-" (symbol-name func)))))
>
> -- Stefan

Thanks Stefan!

Actually I tried this more than once, but was stuck in error message

"Attempt to set a constant symbol: nil"

Now I realize that I just forgot one level of parens. :(

(Anyway I knew posting ugly code provokes a fast response ;-)

Cheers
  Rolf