all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* compile-defun of function in package.el has no effect
@ 2015-10-18 16:48 eric.scott
From: eric.scott @ 2015-10-18 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm having some trouble getting a package (elpy) installed with the package manager, and thought I'd take this as an opportunity to learn a little bit about how package.el works. However, I'm finding it hard to add tracing statements because no changes I make in the code seem to be taking.

For example I added the word 'the' to this expression in package.el/package-menu-execute():

      (if (yes-or-no-p
	   (if (= (length install-list) 1)
	       (format "Install the package `%s'? " (car install-list))
               ...))))

then executed M-x compile-defun on it. There were no complaints, but when I tried again to install the package, my edit did not appear i.e.: instead of "Install the package 'elpy'?" I got the old version 'Install package 'elpy'?

As I understand it, 'compile-defun should dynamically bind the byte-compiled new definition to the unique symbol 'package-menu-execute, but clearly it's not binding it, or the symbol is not unique, or something is coming along later and changing it back.

The value of M-x locate-library <package>
is
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/package.elc

I tried byte-compiling the whole package.el file (as linked from the stack trace) and copying it to that position, and there is still no effect after restarting.

BTW, the error I'm getting when trying to install elpy is 'package emacs-24.1 is unavailable'. I'm running v 24.3.

Any help would be appreciated.