all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Reloading files
@ 2016-04-04 19:20 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-04-04 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Back in the olden days, hitting `C-x C-f RET' in a buffer visiting a
file would reload the current file.  Then this changed to `C-x C-f M-n',
which is fine.  Then apparently all sorts of ffap code has infected
`M-n', so whether you get to reload the file or not depends on what's
under point.

This is really annoying.

Has Emacs grown a new command for reliably reloading the current visited
file that I'm just not able to find?  `revert-buffer' is not on any
keys, and is way too chatty, anyway.  (And a bit scary.)

* RE: Reloading files
@ 2016-04-04 19:51 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-04-04 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, emacs-devel

> Back in the olden days, hitting `C-x C-f RET' in a buffer visiting a
> file would reload the current file.

I think you mean "visit", not "load".  (Or else I don't understand.)

> Then this changed to `C-x C-f M-n', which is fine.

That happened after Emacs 20, by Emacs 22 at least.

> Has Emacs grown a new command for reliably reloading the current visited
> file that I'm just not able to find?  `revert-buffer' is not on any
> keys, and is way too chatty, anyway.  (And a bit scary.)

Sounds like you want `C-x C-v' (`find-alternate-file').  That does
more than revert the buffer, but it at least does that.

* Re: Reloading files
@ 2016-04-06 22:03 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2016-04-06 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel