all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs reftex hangs up while Scanning bibliography database
@ 2015-09-21 11:51 schury.michael
From: schury.michael @ 2015-09-21 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've a strange reftex-issue. When i insert a cite from a bib-file, emacs hangs up. I've tried this on two different machines: Windows 7 and on Mac OS X. (GNU Emacs 24.5.1)

Insert a cite is done:
1. Open emacs, the bibliography file is loaded with:

(setq reftex-default-bibliography
        '("/Users/user/CloudStation/repositories_d/pandoc-templates/examples/socbib-pandoc.bib"))
( the bib file exists and is accessible)

2. Open a .tex file and press C-c [ ^M and enter b*.

Now emacs shows the message:

Scanning bibliography database socbib-pandoc.bib

I've tried this with different bib files (so the bib file itself should be OK).

* emacs reftex hangs up while Scanning bibliography database
@ 2015-09-21 11:54 schury.michael
From: schury.michael @ 2015-09-21 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've a strange reftex-issue. When i insert a cite from a bib-file, emacs hangs up. I've tried this on two different machines: Windows 7 and on Mac OS X. (GNU Emacs 24.5.1)

Insert a cite is done:
1. Open emacs, the bibliography file is loaded with:

(setq reftex-default-bibliography
        '("/Users/user/CloudStation/repositories_d/pandoc-templates/examples/socbib-pandoc.bib"))
( the bib file exists and is accessible)

2. Open a .tex file and press C-c [ ^M and enter b*.

Now emacs shows the message:

Scanning bibliography database socbib-pandoc.bib

No emacs hangs up. Does anyone have an idea why ?

I've tried this with different bib files (so the bib file itself should be OK).

* Re: emacs reftex hangs up while Scanning bibliography database
@ 2015-09-21 14:04 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-09-21 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schury.michael; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

schury.michael@googlemail.com writes:

Hi!

> 2. Open a .tex file and press C-c [ ^M and enter b*.
>
> Now emacs shows the message:
>
> Scanning bibliography database socbib-pandoc.bib
>
> No emacs hangs up. Does anyone have an idea why ?

Yes, the b* is interpreted as a regular expression, and the search for
matching entries is done using it.  The problem here is that this
regular expression matches the empty string because it means "b zero or
many times".  Thus, the search doesn't move forward.

I'll add a check for that so that you get an error when trying to use
such an invalid regular expression.

* Re: emacs reftex hangs up while Scanning bibliography database
@ 2015-09-21 21:29 ` schury.michael
From: schury.michael @ 2015-09-21 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am Montag, 21. September 2015 13:54:56 UTC+2 schrieb schury....@googlemail.com:
> I've a strange reftex-issue. When i insert a cite from a bib-file, emacs hangs up. I've tried this on two different machines: Windows 7 and on Mac OS X. (GNU Emacs 24.5.1)
>
> Insert a cite is done:
> 1. Open emacs, the bibliography file is loaded with:
>
> (setq reftex-default-bibliography
>         '("/Users/user/CloudStation/repositories_d/pandoc-templates/examples/socbib-pandoc.bib"))
> ( the bib file exists and is accessible)
>
> 2. Open a .tex file and press C-c [ ^M and enter b*.
>
> Now emacs shows the message:
>
> Scanning bibliography database socbib-pandoc.bib
>
> No emacs hangs up. Does anyone have an idea why ?
>
> I've tried this with different bib files (so the bib file itself should be OK).

OK, thanks for your fast response, helped ma a lot.