I think that hunspell is different. It validates that the dictionary really exists in the beginning of ispell-start-process: (defun ispell-start-process ()  "Start the Ispell process, with support for no asynchronous processes. Keeps argument list for future Ispell invocations for no async support."  ;; `ispell-current-dictionary' and `ispell-current-personal-dictionary'  ;; are properly set in `ispell-internal-change-dictionary'.  ;; Parse hunspell affix file if using hunspell and entry is uninitialized.  (if ispell-really-hunspell  (or (cadr (assoc ispell-current-dictionary ispell-dictionary-alist))  (ispell-hunspell-fill-dictionary-entry ispell-current-dictionary))) …) Having seen this, I think that this will only be a problem for ispell and aspell. I just tested the recipe and it works on “emacs -Q”  (I have ispell installed correctly, and emacs defaults to that). On Sep 4, 2021, 11:40 AM -0700, Eli Zaretskii , wrote: > [Please use Reply All to keep the bug address on the CC list.] > > > Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 11:33:42 -0700 > > From: Ian W > > > > I think it’s a better error message, but that is just my opinion. It tells me that ispell is trying to read an invalid > > dictionary file. In my case, I deleted that file and everything started working. I also think it’s the error message > > intended to be displayed (by the ispell program and ispell package), as it is the error message designed to > > help the user solve their problem. > > > > (t > > ;; Otherwise, it must be an error message. Show the user. > > ;; But first wait to see if some more output is going to arrive. > > ;; Otherwise we get cool errors like "Can't open ". > > (sleep-for 1) > > (ispell-accept-output 3) ;; <<< This is the line that errors >>> > > (error "%s" (mapconcat #'identity ispell-filter "\n")))) > > > > So the intended error message is never displayed. > > > > I’m sorry for not including a repo. I got it consistently because I had a bad file cached by aspell (or maybe > > doom). You also get the same message when you didn’t install your dictionaries correctly. This is a problem > > in how ispell displays errors, so it’s consistent but only if you already had a real problem with ispell. > > > > To repo: > > (setq ispell-local-dictionary-overridden t > > ispell-local-dictionary "not-a-dict") > > > > This misconfigures your local dictionary, and ensures that the ispell process will error on start. Then run > > ispell-word on any word. Thanks for the prompt response. > > With the above recipe, I get: > > ispell-phaf: No matching entry for not-a-dict in ‘ispell-hunspell-dict-paths-alist’. > > (My speller is Hunspell.) > > So does this mean this problem doesn't happen with Hunspell? Ir is > the recipe incomplete or something?