all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to calculate the size of string in bytes?
@ 2015-08-18  9:11 Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2015-08-18  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

We've had to change the ENSIME protocol to be more friendly to other editors and this has meant changing how we frame TCP messages.

We used to have a 6 character hex number at the start of each message that counted the number of multibyte characters, but we'd like to change it to be the number of bytes in the message.

We're sending the string to `process-send-string' and `read'ing from the associated network buffer. But when calculating the outgoing length of the string that we want to send, we use `length' --- but we need this to be `length-in-bytes' not the number of multibyte chars. Is there a built in function to do this or am I going to have to iterate the string and count the byte size of each character?

A quick test shows that

  (length (encode-coding-string "EURO" 'raw-text))

seems to give the correct result (1 for ASCII, 2 for Pound Sterling, 3 for Euro), but I am not 100% sure if this is correct.

Similarly, when we read from the network, we want to ensure that we `read' numbers of bytes, not multibyte chars. I *think* we are doing the right thing here, but if somebody could check, that would be greatly appreciated.

These are the relevant part of our Emacs code

;; https://github.com/ensime/ensime-emacs/blob/master/ensime-client.el#L507
(defun ensime-net-send (sexp proc)
  (let* ((msg (concat (ensime-prin1-to-string sexp) "\n"))
	 (string (concat (ensime-net-encode-length (length msg)) msg))
	 (coding-system (cdr (process-coding-system proc))))
    (when ensime--debug-messages (message "--> %s" sexp))
    (ensime-log-event sexp)
    (process-send-string proc string)))

;; https://github.com/ensime/ensime-emacs/blob/master/ensime-client.el#L584
(defun ensime-net-read ()
  "Read a message from the network buffer."
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (let* ((length (ensime-net-decode-length))
	 (start (+ 6 (point)))
	 (end (+ start length)))
    (assert (plusp length))
    (goto-char (byte-to-position start))
    (prog1 (read (current-buffer))
      (delete-region (- (byte-to-position start) 6)
		     (byte-to-position end)))))

* Re: how to calculate the size of string in bytes?
@ 2015-08-18 10:13 ` tomas
       [not found] ` <mailman.8504.1439892841.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: tomas @ 2015-08-18 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Halliday; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2015-08-18 10:43   ` Sam Halliday
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8510.1439898432.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sam Halliday @ 2015-08-18 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, 18 August 2015 11:14:04 UTC+1, to...@tuxteam.de  wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 02:11:54AM -0700, Sam Halliday wrote:
> > We used to have a 6 character hex number at the start of each message that counted the number of multibyte characters, but we'd like to change it to be the number of bytes in the message.
> >
> > We're sending the string to `process-send-string' and `read'ing from the associated network buffer. But when calculating the outgoing length of the string that we want to send, we use `length' --- but we need this to be `length-in-bytes' not the number of multibyte chars. Is there a built in function to do this or am I going to have to iterate the string and count the byte size of each character?
> >
> > A quick test shows that
> >
> >   (length (encode-coding-string "EURO" 'raw-text))
> >
> > seems to give the correct result (1 for ASCII, 2 for Pound Sterling, 3 for Euro), but I am not 100% sure if this is correct.
>
> Raw is, afaik, Emacs's internal coding system. You don't want traces of it
> in the network :-)

We're not sending the message using raw, we're using UTF-8. But I need to calculate the length of the UTF-8 string IN BYTES as part of the payload (each messages begins with a 6 character hex encoding of the proceeding string's raw length).

I'm using "raw" to calculate an approximation of the UTF-8 string's byte length, but I am aware that it might not actually be true in the general case :-/

I don't think what you've suggested would actually change the semantics, but it would allow us to use a different encoding on the wire than the encoding of the string. We don't really need to worry about that at this stage, because all our users are using UTF-8. We'll keep it in mind though.

* Re: how to calculate the size of string in bytes?
@ 2015-08-18 11:47     ` tomas
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8510.1439898432.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: tomas @ 2015-08-18 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Halliday; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2015-08-18 12:06       ` Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2015-08-18 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, 18 August 2015 12:47:15 UTC+1, to...@tuxteam.de  wrote:
> > We're not sending the message using raw, we're using UTF-8. But I need to calculate the length of the UTF-8 string IN BYTES as part of the payload (each messages begins with a 6 character hex encoding of the proceeding string's raw length).
>
> Yes, I get that. The way I understand encode-coding-string is that you give
> it the target encoding:
>
>   (length (encode-coding-string foo 'raw-text))

Aah, ok, I didn't get what you were saying. I thought `utf-8' here would just give me back the original. OK, so I really need

  (length (encode-coding-string "EURO" 'utf-8))

and actually, since the process can be using a different encoding, I need

  (length (encode-coding-string "EURO" my-encoding))

Thanks! I already pushed a quick fix, but this seems more solid.

@ 2015-08-18 14:34 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-08-18 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 02:11:54 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com>
>
> Hi all,
>
> We've had to change the ENSIME protocol to be more friendly to other editors and this has meant changing how we frame TCP messages.
>
> We used to have a 6 character hex number at the start of each message that counted the number of multibyte characters, but we'd like to change it to be the number of bytes in the message.
>
> We're sending the string to `process-send-string' and `read'ing from the associated network buffer. But when calculating the outgoing length of the string that we want to send, we use `length' --- but we need this to be `length-in-bytes' not the number of multibyte chars. Is there a built in function to do this or am I going to have to iterate the string and count the byte size of each character?

Emacs 25 has bufferpos-to-filepos, which I think does what you want.

> A quick test shows that
>
>   (length (encode-coding-string "EURO" 'raw-text))
>
> seems to give the correct result (1 for ASCII, 2 for Pound Sterling, 3 for Euro), but I am not 100% sure if this is correct.

It will fail if the string includes some exotic characters or raw
bytes.

* Re: how to calculate the size of string in bytes?
@ 2015-08-18 14:37   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8577.1439934462.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-08-18 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 12:13:52 +0200
> From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Raw is, afaik, Emacs's internal coding system.

Almost, with the exception of raw bytes and characters from un-unified
CJK charsets.

* Re: how to calculate the size of string in bytes?
@ 2015-08-18 14:45     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2015-08-18 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: how to calculate the size of string in bytes?
@ 2015-08-18 15:00       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-08-18 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 16:45:30 +0200
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> From:  <tomas@tuxteam.de>
>
> Perhaps you know that off-hand, but I can look it up/try it out: probably
> encode-coding-string and process-send-string would both fail, if the target
> coding system is set to UTF-8?

Why should it fail?  In which use case?  I'm probably missing
something.

* Re: how to calculate the size of string in bytes?
@ 2015-08-18 16:01         ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2015-08-18 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: how to calculate the size of string in bytes?
@ 2015-08-18 16:35           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-08-18 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 18:01:45 +0200
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> From:  <tomas@tuxteam.de>
>
> I was thinking of "characters not expressible in UTF-8". Does Emacs have
> those?

Raw bytes come out as themselves (which might be invalid UTF-8), but
that's not a failure, that's the user's fault, because they had those
bytes in the buffer to begin with.

* Re: how to calculate the size of string in bytes?
@ 2015-08-18 19:30             ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2015-08-18 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: how to calculate the size of string in bytes?
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-08-18 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 21:30:49 +0200
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> From:  <tomas@tuxteam.de>
>
> I was having difficulties in understanding you

Sorry about that.  It's a complex issue to explain in a few words.

> Now I understand: Emacs's internal (raw) coding system can represent
> "characters not expressible in utf-8".

More accurately, it can represent characters outside the Unicode code
space.

And please don't call that "raw"; the internal representation of
characters used by Emacs is known as 'utf-8-emacs'.

> The function encode-coding-string passes those bytes silently
> through, outputting an invalid utf-8 sequence.

Yes.  Although in interactive functions Emacs will normally complain
and ask for a better encoding.

> So I venture the guess that when the Emacs buffer contains something
> epressible as valid utf-8, 'utf-8 and 'raw are equivalent

Yes.

> (what about combining characters?)

Emacs doesn't normalize/compose/decompose characters when it encodes
text (with a notable exception of the utf-8-hfs encoding).
Applications that want this should do that themselves, e.g. using the
facilities in ucs-normalize.el.

* Re: how to calculate the size of string in bytes?
@ 2015-08-18 20:11                 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2015-08-18 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: how to calculate the size of string in bytes?
@ 2015-08-18 21:47   ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8577.1439934462.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-08-18 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> It seems somewhat wasteful to encode msg (to find its length) just
> to let process-send-string encode again -- perhaps there's a better
> idiom around for that.

Yup: communicate with the process using bytes rather than chars!

I.e. set the process's coding system to binary.

Then you just need to call (encode-coding-string msg coding-system) once
to get the bytes and you send them as is: they won't be re-encoded.

* Re: how to calculate the size of string in bytes?
@ 2015-08-19  5:43     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2015-08-19  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2015-08-19  8:57     ` Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2015-08-19  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, 18 August 2015 22:47:44 UTC+1, Stefan Monnier  wrote:
> > It seems somewhat wasteful to encode msg (to find its length) just
> > to let process-send-string encode again -- perhaps there's a better
> > idiom around for that.
>
> Yup: communicate with the process using bytes rather than chars!
>
> I.e. set the process's coding system to binary.
>
> Then you just need to call (encode-coding-string msg coding-system) once
> to get the bytes and you send them as is: they won't be re-encoded.
>

>         Stefan

Heh, that's actually a very good suggestion. We'll keep that in mind if this is ever a performance bottleneck. We're hoping to move the ENSIME protocol (based on SWANK) over to S-Expressions over WebSockets which will mean we can just delete all this code.

* Re: how to calculate the size of string in bytes?
@ 2015-08-19  9:22       ` Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2015-08-19  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Actually, one question Stefan.

An advantage of the string encodings is that we're pretty confident that a newline will flush the network buffer. How do we make sure that a binary encoding will do the same? (or is there no buffering and we're worrying about nothing)

@ 2015-08-19 19:47       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-08-19 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Heh, that's actually a very good suggestion. We'll keep that in mind if this
> is ever a performance bottleneck.

Actually, I recommend it for sanity reasons rather than
performance reasons.
It'll help you make sure the right encoding is used for the right data,
and the "counts" do count the right elements as well.