all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* unicode files created with windows notepad
@ 2005-02-01 19:45 David Ellis
From: David Ellis @ 2005-02-01 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to edit a unicode file created with Windows NotePad.

What encoding method should I use?

I have tried the following
    utf-16-le
    utf-16-le-dos
    mule-utf-16-le-dos

I am trying to read an xml file. I have the psgml-1.2.5 package installed.

When I open the file with any of the above encoding, I either get an error
when the psgml package loads or an error when I try to save the file.

If I save the same file with UTF-8 encoding in NotePad and open it with
emacs with UTF-8 encoding, I have no problems. So, it appears that I do not
have the correct encoding when I am trying to read the unicode file.

Anyone have any ideas?

Dave

* Re: unicode files created with windows notepad
@ 2005-02-02  4:40 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-02-02  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "David Ellis" <ddellis@mail.com>
> Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:45:50 -0600
>
> I am trying to edit a unicode file created with Windows NotePad.
>
> What encoding method should I use?
>
> I have tried the following
>     utf-16-le
>     utf-16-le-dos
>     mule-utf-16-le-dos
>
> I am trying to read an xml file. I have the psgml-1.2.5 package installed.

On what version of Windows is that, and how exactly did you tell
Notepad to save it in Unicode?

* Re: unicode files created with windows notepad
@ 2005-02-02  8:44   ` Ismael Valladolid Torres
From: Ismael Valladolid Torres @ 2005-02-02  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii escribe:
> On what version of Windows is that, and how exactly did you tell
> Notepad to save it in Unicode?

I am really interested on knowing this! :)

Cordially, Ismael

* Re: unicode files created with windows notepad
@ 2005-02-02 11:03 ` Wolfgang Jeltsch
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Wolfgang Jeltsch @ 2005-02-02 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Dienstag, 1. Februar 2005 20:45 schrieb David Ellis:
> [...]

> I am trying to read an xml file. I have the psgml-1.2.5 package installed.

While it probably has nothing to do with Unicode, what about using the nXML
major mode?  I've heard that psgml is not as sophisticated as nXML for XML
editing.

> [...]

Best wishes,
Wolfgang
--
SOFTWAREPATENTE GEHEN JEDEN ETWAS AN, DENN SOFTWARE IST ÜBERALL.
Bitte lesen Sie mehr auf http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/!

* Re: unicode files created with windows notepad
@ 2005-02-02 16:16 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.415.1107320402.2841.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-02-02 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Ellis wrote:
> I am trying to edit a unicode file created with Windows NotePad.
>
> What encoding method should I use?
>
> I have tried the following
>     utf-16-le
>     utf-16-le-dos
>     mule-utf-16-le-dos
>
> I am trying to read an xml file. I have the psgml-1.2.5 package installed.
>
> When I open the file with any of the above encoding, I either get an error
> when the psgml package loads or an error when I try to save the file.

My crystal ball is at the shop, getting buffed.  Perhaps you could set
debug-on-error and post the resulting *Backtrace* buffers.

> If I save the same file with UTF-8 encoding in NotePad and open it with
> emacs with UTF-8 encoding, I have no problems. So, it appears that I do not
> have the correct encoding when I am trying to read the unicode file.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Perhaps it is an issue with the presence or absence of the Byte Order
Mark.  Does the UTF-16-LE file written by NotePad include a BOM, and
is it correct (FF FE)?  If so, there could be a bug in Emacs and/or
PSGML.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: unicode files created with windows notepad
@ 2005-02-02 18:25   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-02-02 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com>
> Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 09:16:12 -0700
>
> My crystal ball is at the shop, getting buffed.

Mine, too.

> Does the UTF-16-LE file written by NotePad include a BOM

I tried that on XP, and the file does include a correct BOM.  (Btw,
Notepad doesn't call the encoding "UTF-16-LE", it calls it "Unicode".)

I asked for the OP's Windows version to see whether it's some Windows
problem.  The version of the OP's Emacs (what Emacs displays if you
type "M-x emacs-version RET") would also help understand what might be
the problem.

@ 2005-02-02 20:04   ` David Ellis
       [not found]     ` <mailman.630.1107408460.2841.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Ellis @ 2005-02-02 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using Windows XP Pro SP2.

On the save dialog box, there is a drop down list that you can use to select
ANSI, Unicode, Unicode big endian, or UTF-8.

Dae

@ 2005-02-02 20:27   ` David Ellis
From: David Ellis @ 2005-02-02 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I set debug-on-error to t, but no *Backtrace* buffer was created.

The *Messages* buffer includes the following:

(C:\Program Files\emacs\bin\emacs.exe)
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
Fontifying *scratch*... (regexps.............)

Making completion list...
File mode specification error: (void-variable
^[$,1s;^[$,3u=u=^[$,29,^[$,3u=^[$,25`5m^[$,3u=u=^[$,26,^[$,3u=u=u=^[$,1sg^[$,3u=u=u=u=^[$,1sh^[$,3u=u=u=^[$,1sg^[$,3u=

There is a long list of characters following this then,

Region saved

My version of emacs is GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of
2004-03-10 on NYAUMO.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

@ 2005-02-03  4:54     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.630.1107408460.2841.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-02-03  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "David Ellis" <ddellis@mail.com>
> Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:04:15 -0600
>
> I am using Windows XP Pro SP2.
>
> On the save dialog box, there is a drop down list that you can use to select
> ANSI, Unicode, Unicode big endian, or UTF-8.

On an XP system, I used the "Unicode" encoding and the `utf-16-le'
coding system to visit the resulting file in Emacs, and it worked
fine.

What version of Emacs do you use?

@ 2005-02-03 12:50       ` David Ellis
From: David Ellis @ 2005-02-03 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

My version of emacs is GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of
2004-03-10 on NYAUMO.

I think that the problem is the psgml package.

As a test, I tried the following
C-x RET c utf-16-le RET C-x C-f Test.xml

Test.xml did not exist. I get the same error messages so it seems that there
is a conflict between the psgml and utf-16-le encoding .

Dave

>> From: "David Ellis" <ddellis@mail.com>
>> Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:04:15 -0600
>>
>> I am using Windows XP Pro SP2.
>>
>> On the save dialog box, there is a drop down list that you can use to
>> select
>> ANSI, Unicode, Unicode big endian, or UTF-8.
>
> On an XP system, I used the "Unicode" encoding and the `utf-16-le'
> coding system to visit the resulting file in Emacs, and it worked
> fine.
>
> What version of Emacs do you use?

* Re: unicode files created with windows notepad
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.415.1107320402.2841.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-02-03 13:50 ` David Ellis
From: David Ellis @ 2005-02-03 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

As a test, I removed my .emacs file to ensure that there was not something
in it that caused a problem.

I made a text file test.txt with notepad saving it as a unicode file.

Then, in emacs I opened it using the following.

C-x RET c utf-16-le RET C-x C-f c:/test.txt RET

The file opens fine.

Then I set debug-on-error to t.

If I edit the file and then do C-x C-f to save, I get an error.

Here is the info from the *Backtrace* buffer.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function utf-16-le-pre-write-conversion)
  utf-16-le-pre-write-conversion(1 31)
  write-region(1 31 "c:/test.txt" nil t "c:/test.txt")
  basic-save-buffer-2()
  basic-save-buffer-1()
  basic-save-buffer()
  save-buffer(1)
* call-interactively(save-buffer)

Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

Can anyone duplicate this problem?

My emacs version is GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2004-03-10
on NYAUMO.

Dave

@ 2005-02-03 20:59         ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-02-03 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Ellis" <ddellis@mail.com> writes:

> I think that the problem is the psgml package.

If you only need psgml for xml files, you might want to try nxml-mode,
which is more actively maintained.