all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* way to get the file name except the extension
@ 2009-02-05  5:09 Kiwon Um
From: Kiwon Um @ 2009-02-05  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello. I'm a newbie to elisp.

I'm wondering a built-in function or lisp codes to get the file name
except the extension from (buffer-name):
TestCode.cpp -> TestCode

Any advise? :)

* Re: way to get the file name except the extension
@ 2009-02-05  6:03 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-02-05  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 4, 9:09 pm, Kiwon Um <um.ki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello. I'm a newbie to elisp.
>
> I'm wondering a built-in function or lisp codes to get the file name
> except the extension from (buffer-name):
> TestCode.cpp -> TestCode
>
> Any advise? :)

easy.

you want file-name-sans-extension and file-name-nondirectory.

of langs i know that i've used extensively for processing file and dir
names, namely Python and Perl, none comes as easy to use as the funcs
provided in elisp.

you can get file dir name, file name, file suffix, strip suffix,
create dir including non existing parent dir, convert from full path
to relative path, etc, all built in in elisp with a simple function.

• File Names - GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual
  http://xahlee.org/elisp/File-Names.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: way to get the file name except the extension
@ 2009-02-05  6:45   ` Kiwon Um
From: Kiwon Um @ 2009-02-05  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2월5일, 오후3시03분, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 4, 9:09 pm, Kiwon Um <um.ki...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello. I'm a newbie to elisp.
>
> > I'm wondering a built-in function or lisp codes to get the file name
> > except the extension from (buffer-name):
> > TestCode.cpp -> TestCode
>
> > Any advise? :)
>
> easy.
>
> you want file-name-sans-extension and file-name-nondirectory.
>
> of langs i know that i've used extensively for processing file and dir
> names, namely Python and Perl, none comes as easy to use as the funcs
> provided in elisp.
>
> you can get file dir name, file name, file suffix, strip suffix,
> create dir including non existing parent dir, convert from full path
> to relative path, etc, all built in in elisp with a simple function.
>
> • File Names - GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual
>  http://xahlee.org/elisp/File-Names.html
>
>   Xah
> ∑http://xahlee.org/
>
> ☄

Thanks. It really works well. :
(file-name-sans-extension (buffer-name))

P.s. Is there any good reference point of the manual to manipulate the
time related strings, time, date, month, year, etc, like file name?

* Re: way to get the file name except the extension
@ 2009-02-05  7:27 ` Johan Andersson
From: Johan Andersson @ 2009-02-05  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Kiwon Um; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2009-02-05  8:21 ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2009-02-05  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Quoth Kiwon Um <um.kiwon@gmail.com>:
> Hello. I'm a newbie to elisp.

Welcome.  You will never look back :)

> I'm wondering a built-in function or lisp codes to get the file name
> except the extension from (buffer-name)

Of course.

(file-name-sans-extension (buffer-name))

A quick way to discover commands is to type:

 C-h f <first-few-letters> TAB

 (C-h = Ctrl h)

so, to find out about file-* commands type:

 C-h f file TAB

and keep pressing TAB to cycle through the numerous results in the
pop-up window.

Add some more letters and type TAB again to narrow your search and when
you've found a command you're interested in type RET.

There's also 'M-x apropos'.
(M-x = Alt-x or ESC-x)

Type 'C-h f apropos RET' to learn about the 'apropos' command.

Sebastian
--
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
Lightweight, full-featured and mindful of your idyllic happiness.

* Time-related functions [Was: way to get the file name except the extension]
@ 2009-02-05  9:11     ` Juanma Bellón
From: Juanma Bellón @ 2009-02-05  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> P.s. Is there any good reference point of the manual to manipulate the
> time related strings, time, date, month, year, etc, like file name?

In "39 Operating System Interface" there are 3 sections that probably
contain something for you:

* Time of Day: Getting the current time.
* Time Conversion: Converting a time from numeric form to calendrical data,
  and vice versa).
* Time Parsing: Converting a time from numeric form to text and vice versa.

Best regards.
--
Juanma

"Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like
 having a peeing section in a swimming pool."
       -- Edward Burr