all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem to run shell-command
@ 2010-08-23 15:26 filebat
From: filebat @ 2010-08-23 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all

Any idea why below shell-command fails?

,----------- command
| M-! etags -a -I `find -iname *.py`
`-----------

,----------- output of the error message
| `find: No such file or directory
| *.py`: No such file or directory
`-----------

If I try "M-! find -iname *.py | etags -a -", I will get complain of "Access is denied".

Denny

Smile for difficulty, Denny!

* Re: Problem to run shell-command
@ 2010-08-24 19:47 ` Oleksandr Gavenko
       [not found]   ` <mailman.0.1282753005.3946.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2010-08-24 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-08-23 18:26, filebat wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Any idea why below shell-command fails?
>
> ,----------- command
> | M-! etags -a -I `find -iname *.py`
> `-----------
>
> ,----------- output of the error message
> | `find: No such file or directory
> | *.py`: No such file or directory
> `-----------
>
> If I try "M-! find -iname *.py | etags -a -", I will get complain of "Access is denied".

'find' utility expect dir as first arg where it start look to files ))
And dont forget escape special shell chars like '*' ))

try 'find . -iname "*.py"'

--
Best regards!

* Re: Problem to run shell-command
@ 2010-08-25 16:16   ` filebat Mark
       [not found]   ` <mailman.0.1282753005.3946.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: filebat Mark @ 2010-08-25 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Oleksandr Gavenko; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks, gavenkoa.

Well, could you have a try on your environment?

I am suspicious that shell-command of emacs doesn't support pipe, thus the
two commands fail.

Regards,
Denny

--
Thanks & Regards

Denny Zhang

* Re: Problem to run shell-command
@ 2010-08-25 18:04     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-08-25 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: filebat Mark; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Oleksandr Gavenko

Am 25.08.2010 um 18:16 schrieb filebat Mark:

> I am suspicious that shell-command of emacs doesn't support pipe,
> thus the
> two commands fail.

Try this shell command: ls -lt1 | sort

The output in *Shell Command Output* will be alphabetically sorted
while ls produces a listing according to modification time.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.

@ 2010-08-26  0:40     ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2010-08-26  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.0.1282753005.3946.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 filebat Mark <filebat.mark@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, gavenkoa.
>
> Well, could you have a try on your environment?
>
> I am suspicious that shell-command of emacs doesn't support pipe, thus the
> two commands fail.

What OS are you running on?  I primarily use OS X, and shell-command
works fine with pipes and backticks.  The only things you can't run
using shell-command are interactive or full-screen applications.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: Problem to run shell-command
@ 2010-08-26  6:43     ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2010-08-26  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 25.08.2010 19:16, filebat Mark wrote:
> Thanks, gavenkoa.
>
> Well, could you have a try on your environment?
>
> I am suspicious that shell-command of emacs doesn't support pipe, thus
> the two commands fail.

What OS you run?

shell-command pass typed string to command interpreter like 'sh' or
'cmdproxy.exe'.

So you must type command that correspond to your command interpreter
language syntax.

Under Linux all work fine out of the box.

For Windows I use Cygwin (be ware put 'cygwin/bin' before
'windows/system32' in PATH).

Also check 'shell-file-name ' and try play with:

   (setq shell-file-name (concat exec-directory "cmdproxy.exe"))

or like

   (setq shell-file-name "bash")
   (setq shell-command-switch "-c")

   (setenv "SHELL" shell-file-name)