all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to select an area to delete ?
@ 2013-01-19  5:08 horse_rivers
From: horse_rivers @ 2013-01-19  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hi:

  If I want to delete an area  with several lines , how to made these lines selected ,then delete them?

thanks!

* Re: how to select an area to delete ?
       [not found] <mailman.17870.1358574015.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-01-19  7:24 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2013-01-19  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.17870.1358574015.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 horse_rivers <horse_rivers@126.com> wrote:

> ハ If I want to delete an area ハwith several lines , how to made these lines
> selected ,then delete them?

Mark one end with Ctl-space, go to the other end, type C-w.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: how to select an area to delete ?
@ 2013-01-19  7:30 ` Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2013-01-19  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: horse_rivers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>   If I want to delete an area  with several lines , how to made these lines selected

Move point to that area and type `C-h' (which is bound to the command
`mark-paragraph').

>,then delete them?

To _delete_ the text without storing it in the kill ring, type the DEL
(aka "backspace").
To _kill_ the text so that you may re-insert it at some point if you
want, type `C-w'.

--
Dani Moncayo

* Re: how to select an area to delete ?
@ 2013-01-19  7:34   ` Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2013-01-19  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: horse_rivers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Dani Moncayo <dmoncayo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>   If I want to delete an area  with several lines , how to made these lines selected
>
> Move point to that area and type `C-h' (which is bound to the command
> `mark-paragraph').

I'm assuming that your "area" is what Emacs consider a "paragraph",
i.e. several consecutive lines which are isolated from the rest of the
text with empty lines.

If that's not your case, mark the region as Barry said.

--
Dani Moncayo

* Re: how to select an area to delete ?
@ 2013-01-19  7:41     ` Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2013-01-19  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: horse_rivers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Dani Moncayo <dmoncayo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>   If I want to delete an area  with several lines , how to made these lines selected
>>
>> Move point to that area and type `C-h' (which is bound to the command
                                     ^^^
I mean `M-h', sorry.

--
Dani Moncayo

* Re: how to select an area to delete ?
@ 2013-01-19 14:51 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-01-19 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>   If I want to delete an area  with several lines , how to made these lines
> selected ,then delete them?

You might like to try the online interactive tutorial (via C-h t, or
"Help => Emacs tutorial" in the menu).  It will explain this among
other things.

* Re: how to select an area to delete ?
@ 2013-01-19 15:35   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-01-19 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>   If I want to delete an area  with several lines , how to made these lines
>> selected ,then delete them?
>
> You might like to try the online interactive tutorial (via C-h t, or
> "Help => Emacs tutorial" in the menu).  It will explain this among
> other things.

Emacs guided tour is also a good resource:

        http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/

@ 2013-01-20 23:03 ` Nicolas FRANCOIS
From: Nicolas FRANCOIS @ 2013-01-20 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Le Sat, 19 Jan 2013 13:08:49 +0800 (CST),
horse_rivers <horse_rivers@126.com> a écrit :

> hi:
>
>   If I want to delete an area  with several lines , how to made
> these lines selected ,then delete them?
>

> thanks!

Try to read help on rectangles operations, too !

C-x r C-h for help.

\bye

--

Nicolas FRANCOIS                      |  /\
http://nicolas.francois.free.fr       | |__|