all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* defining functions in emacs
@ 2006-01-24 21:40 Matt Brown
From: Matt Brown @ 2006-01-24 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone

I wrote my first emacs function! Here's my function:

(defun read-environment ()
  (setq outbuf (generate-new-buffer "read-environment-outbuf"))
  (call-process "read-environment.sh" nil outbuf nil)
  (eval-buffer outbuf)
  (kill-buffer outbuf))

It uses read-environment.sh to generate a whole bunch of setenv lines,
and then evaluates them.  Basically, it sources .bashrc and sets the new
variables in emacs.  It works fine, but I want to be able to run it by
M-x read-environment

This doesn't work. I have to put
(read-environment)
into *scratch*, move to the ')' and do C-x C-e to evaluate it.  Pretty lame.

 From the digging around I've done, it seems like it should just work.
Any ideas?  BTW, the defun is in my .emacs

Thanks
Matt

* Re: defining functions in emacs
@ 2006-01-24 23:13 ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2006-01-24 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (defun read-environment ()
> (setq outbuf (generate-new-buffer "read-environment-outbuf"))
> (call-process "read-environment.sh" nil outbuf nil)
> (eval-buffer outbuf)
> (kill-buffer outbuf))

How about this instead?

(defun read-environment ()
  (interactive)
  (with-temp-buffer
    (call-process "read-environment.sh" nil t nil)
    (eval-buffer)))

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
hober0@gmail.com

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

* Re: defining functions in emacs
       [not found] <mailman.11.1138142928.2878.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-01-25  8:09 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-01-25  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Brown <mbrown83@ucsc.edu> writes:

> Hi everyone
>
> I wrote my first emacs function! Here's my function:
>

> (defun read-environment ()
>   (setq outbuf (generate-new-buffer "read-environment-outbuf"))
>   (call-process "read-environment.sh" nil outbuf nil)
>   (eval-buffer outbuf)
>   (kill-buffer outbuf))
>
> It uses read-environment.sh to generate a whole bunch of setenv lines,
> and then evaluates them.  Basically, it sources .bashrc and sets the
> new variables in emacs.  It works fine, but I want to be able to run
> it by
> M-x read-environment
>
> This doesn't work. I have to put
> (read-environment)
> into *scratch*, move to the ')' and do C-x C-e to evaluate it.  Pretty lame.
>
>  From the digging around I've done, it seems like it should just work.
> Any ideas?  BTW, the defun is in my .emacs
>
> Thanks
> Matt

You need to include (interactive) in your defun

,----[ C-h f interactive RET ]

`----

--
Tim Cross

* Re: defining functions in emacs
@ 2006-01-25 16:02 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-01-25 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Brown wrote:
> I wrote my first emacs function! Here's my function:
>

> (defun read-environment ()
>  (setq outbuf (generate-new-buffer "read-environment-outbuf"))
>  (call-process "read-environment.sh" nil outbuf nil)
>  (eval-buffer outbuf)
>  (kill-buffer outbuf))
>
> It uses read-environment.sh to generate a whole bunch of setenv lines,
> and then evaluates them.  Basically, it sources .bashrc and sets the new
> variables in emacs.

In Emacs there is always more than 1 way to skin a cat:

(let ((shell-file-name "/bin/bash"))
   (setq process-environment
         (split-string (shell-command-to-string ". $HOME/.bashrc; env")
"\n")))

> It works fine, but I want to be able to run it by
> M-x read-environment
>
> This doesn't work. I have to put
> (read-environment)
> into *scratch*, move to the ')' and do C-x C-e to evaluate it.  Pretty
> lame.
>
>  From the digging around I've done, it seems like it should just work.
> Any ideas?  BTW, the defun is in my .emacs

Read the "Defining Commands" node of the Emacs Lisp manual, and its
subnodes.

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2006-01-26  6:17 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2006-01-26  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.11.1138142928.2878.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Matt Brown <mbrown83@ucsc.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I wrote my first emacs function! Here's my function:
>

> (defun read-environment ()
>   (setq outbuf (generate-new-buffer "read-environment-outbuf"))
>   (call-process "read-environment.sh" nil outbuf nil)
>   (eval-buffer outbuf)
>   (kill-buffer outbuf))
>
> It uses read-environment.sh to generate a whole bunch of setenv lines,
> and then evaluates them.  Basically, it sources .bashrc and sets the new
> variables in emacs.  It works fine, but I want to be able to run it by
> M-x read-environment

As others have pointed out, if you want to define a COMMAND, you have to
use the (interactive) declaration.  You've just defined a function, and
M-x executes commands.

> This doesn't work. I have to put
> (read-environment)
> into *scratch*, move to the ')' and do C-x C-e to evaluate it.  Pretty lame.

It's not quite that bad.  M-: can be used to execute arbitrary Lisp
functions.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA