In article <80cc90dc-d66b-4d93-9ff9-dccacec01770@c10g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, Fren Zeee wrote: > On Jul 29, 8:51 pm, mdj wrote: > > Thirdly, it is relatively straightforward to implement a portable > > bytecode interpreter in C that will then compile on any architecture > > for which one has a C compiler. This is a great deal less work than > > developing a 'to-machine-code' compiler for every architecture out > > there. > > Why is it less than porting the C compiler ? How would it be written ? > assembler ? It isn't less, it's very similar. But since someone has already done the C compiler, you don't need to do it at all. You can simply write a byte-code interpreter once, and it will run on all the machines that have C compilers. -- Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu Arlington, MA *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me *** *** PLEASE don't copy me on replies, I'll read them in the group ***