all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Files silently fail to save when "emacs -nw <file>" is called from multiple terminals
@ 2013-05-14 14:02 Andrew Pennebaker
       [not found] ` <mailman.25735.1368541485.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andrew Pennebaker @ 2013-05-14 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help

I was planning to make the same code change to several projects, so I
opened a few Console 2 tabs and ran "emacs -nw README.md" in each of
them. I began making my changes to the REAMDE.md's in emacs and hit
C-x C-s to save. I would close emacs with C-x C-c and try to cat the
README.md's, but no such file was saved. No temporary files remained.
For each file, I had to start writing it all over again.

I suspect that somehow, multiple "emacs -nw" calls are interfering
with each other.

System:

$ specs emacs os
Specs:

specs 0.4
https://github.com/mcandre/specs#readme

emacs --version
GNU Emacs 24.2.1
GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of Emacs
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

systeminfo | findstr /B /C:"OS Name" /C:"OS Version"
OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Version:                5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

--
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker
www.yellosoft.us

* Re: Files silently fail to save when "emacs -nw <file>" is called from multiple terminals
@ 2013-05-14 14:24 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.25735.1368541485.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-05-14 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 10:02:21 -0400
> From: Andrew Pennebaker <andrew.pennebaker@gmail.com>
>
> I was planning to make the same code change to several projects, so I
> opened a few Console 2 tabs and ran "emacs -nw README.md" in each of
> them. I began making my changes to the REAMDE.md's in emacs and hit
> C-x C-s to save. I would close emacs with C-x C-c and try to cat the
> README.md's, but no such file was saved. No temporary files remained.
> For each file, I had to start writing it all over again.
>
> I suspect that somehow, multiple "emacs -nw" calls are interfering
> with each other.

No, they don't.  I just tried.

If you can reliably reproduce that, report the recipe for that using
"M-x report-emacs-bug RET".  It is best to try reproducing this
without any non-standard software such as Console 2 (after all, each
tab there is just another instance of the shell, so just opening
several shell windows should be enough to show the problem).

@ 2013-05-14 15:34   ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2013-05-14 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.25735.1368541485.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 10:02:21 -0400
> > From: Andrew Pennebaker <andrew.pennebaker@gmail.com>
> >
> > I was planning to make the same code change to several projects, so I
> > opened a few Console 2 tabs and ran "emacs -nw README.md" in each of
> > them. I began making my changes to the REAMDE.md's in emacs and hit
> > C-x C-s to save. I would close emacs with C-x C-c and try to cat the
> > README.md's, but no such file was saved. No temporary files remained.
> > For each file, I had to start writing it all over again.
> >
> > I suspect that somehow, multiple "emacs -nw" calls are interfering
> > with each other.
>
> No, they don't.  I just tried.
>
> If you can reliably reproduce that, report the recipe for that using
> "M-x report-emacs-bug RET".  It is best to try reproducing this
> without any non-standard software such as Console 2 (after all, each
> tab there is just another instance of the shell, so just opening
> several shell windows should be enough to show the problem).

And make sure to try it with "emacs -q", to see if it's something
optional that you load that's causing it.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA