all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Operate on each line in region
@ 2014-04-23 17:45 Jacob Gerlach
From: Jacob Gerlach @ 2014-04-23 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am writing a function that will indent each line in a region to justify equals signs:

 foo = 1
 longerfoo = bar

Would become

       foo = 1
 longerfoo = bar

I believe I understand how to iterate through the lines in a region using either of two methods:

condition on the buffer positions for the start and end of the region:

(defun my-justify (start end)
(interactive 'r')
(while (< (point) end))
...body...
(forward-line 1)))

Narrow the buffer to region and use similar conditioning with (eobp).

I'm wondering if there is a more straightforward way to accomplish this.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Jake