In article , Ferdinand wrote: > Hi, > > I would like to use ESS (emacs speaks statistics). > Therefore I put the ess-site.el in a directory that I added to the load-path > variable in my .emacs file: > > (add-to-list 'load-path "~/documents/emacs/load on startup/ess/lisp/") > (require šess-site) > > > This doesn't work. I get an error on startup (Symbol's value as variable is > void: šess-site) The problem is that you've entered a "smart quote" before ess-site, instead of a regular apostrophe. Notice that the quote before ess-site is different from the one before load-path. -- Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu Arlington, MA *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***