all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* repeat the last single shell command
@ 2013-07-18  9:00 Luca Ferrari
       [not found] ` <CAKcmqqyD8e2bX99NHMKG0h+fdF=U66mBsJ-W=4ygtmvJgNGaGA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2013-07-18  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
this should be trivial, but I'm not able to find an easy and simple
way of running again the last single shell command (M-!). I know I can
use the shell ring to get back the last command, like M-P so that I
have to:

M-! M-p RET

but I guess there is a smarter way. And I don't want to open a full
shell, this is supposed to let me test quickly a shell script.

Thanks,
Luca

* Re: repeat the last single shell command
       [not found] ` <CAKcmqqyD8e2bX99NHMKG0h+fdF=U66mBsJ-W=4ygtmvJgNGaGA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-07-18  9:55   ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2013-07-18  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: yi lu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM, yi lu <zhiwudazhanjiangshi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Will "Up" arrow instead of "M-p" work?

Yes, it works, but that's pretty much the same of M-p. I'd like to
know if there's some shortcut, let's say like M-!!, to immediatly
repeat the last command. Otherwise I have to define a function.

@ 2013-07-18 10:33 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-07-18 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.07.2013 um 11:00 schrieb Luca Ferrari:

> M-! M-p RET
>
> but I guess there is a smarter way.

M-r ? On the prompt's line.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
				– Georges W. Bush

* Re: repeat the last single shell command
@ 2013-07-18 11:35     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-07-18 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:55:40AM +0200, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM, yi lu <zhiwudazhanjiangshi@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Will "Up" arrow instead of "M-p" work?
> >

> Yes, it works, but that's pretty much the same of M-p. I'd like to
> know if there's some shortcut, let's say like M-!!, to immediatly
> repeat the last command. Otherwise I have to define a function.

Maybe you are looking for repeat-complex-command, C-x ESC ESC?

--
Suvayu

* Re: repeat the last single shell command
@ 2013-07-18 12:34       ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2013-07-18 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe you are looking for repeat-complex-command, C-x ESC ESC?

Not the right one, since it will repeat the very last command, while I
want to repeat the last command within a shell (i.e., it would repeat
a kill buffer for instance, while I want to repeat only the last
single command).

But thanks for the idea.

@ 2013-07-18 12:42     ` Nicolas Richard
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1333.1374153910.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2013-07-18 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: yi lu, help-gnu-emacs

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM, yi lu <zhiwudazhanjiangshi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Will "Up" arrow instead of "M-p" work?
>>

> Yes, it works, but that's pretty much the same of M-p. I'd like to
> know if there's some shortcut, let's say like M-!!, to immediatly
> repeat the last command. Otherwise I have to define a function.

I think M-! M-p RET is simple enough, but you can do this:

(defun yf/last-history-element-and-exit ()
  "Select the last history element."
  (interactive)
  (goto-history-element 1)
  (exit-minibuffer))
(define-key minibuffer-local-shell-command-map (kbd "!") 'yf/last-history-element-and-exit)

then M-! ! does what M-! M-p RET would do.

--
Nico.

@ 2013-07-18 13:11 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2013-07-18 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> writes:

Hi Luca,

> this should be trivial, but I'm not able to find an easy and simple
> way of running again the last single shell command (M-!). I know I can
> use the shell ring to get back the last command, like M-P so that I
> have to:
>
> M-! M-p RET
>
> but I guess there is a smarter way. And I don't want to open a full
> shell, this is supposed to let me test quickly a shell script.

You can do `C-x M-:' which is:

,----[ C-h k C-x M-: ]
| C-x M-: runs the command repeat-complex-command, which is an interactive
| compiled Lisp function in `simple.el'.
|
| It is bound to <again>, <redo>, C-x M-:, C-x M-ESC.
|
| (repeat-complex-command ARG)
|
| Edit and re-evaluate last complex command, or ARGth from last.
| A complex command is one which used the minibuffer.
| The command is placed in the minibuffer as a Lisp form for editing.
| The result is executed, repeating the command as changed.
| If the command has been changed or is not the most recent previous
| command it is added to the front of the command history.
| You can use the minibuffer history commands M-n and M-p
| to get different commands to edit and resubmit.
`----

Well, that's actually not really faster to type...

You can capture the last shell command using an advice, and have a
command for repeating it, though.

(defvar th-last-shell-command)

(defadvice shell-command (before th-capture-shell-command
				 (command &optional output-buffer error-buffer)
				 activate)
  (setq th-last-shell-command (list command output-buffer error-buffer)))

(defun th-repeat-last-shell-command ()
  (interactive)
  (if th-last-shell-command
      (apply #'shell-command th-last-shell-command)
    (message "There's no last shell command!")))

Then you can bind `th-repeat-last-shell-command' to some key that's
convenient to you.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: repeat the last single shell command
@ 2013-07-18 13:24       ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1333.1374153910.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2013-07-18 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> writes:

>> Yes, it works, but that's pretty much the same of M-p. I'd like to
>> know if there's some shortcut, let's say like M-!!, to immediatly
>> repeat the last command. Otherwise I have to define a function.
>
> I think M-! M-p RET is simple enough, but you can do this:
>
> (defun yf/last-history-element-and-exit ()
>   "Select the last history element."
>   (interactive)
>   (goto-history-element 1)
>   (exit-minibuffer))
> (define-key minibuffer-local-shell-command-map (kbd "!") 'yf/last-history-element-and-exit)

Nice idea, but then you can't enter ! anymore in a shell command.

Here's an improved version that does handle ! (or whatever char you've
bound `yf/last-history-element-and-exit' to) only special if it's the
first char entered at the prompt.

(defun yf/last-history-element-and-exit ()
  "Select the last history element."
  (interactive)
  (if (not (= (1+ (minibuffer-prompt-width)) (point)))
      (self-insert-command 1)
    (goto-history-element 1)
    (exit-minibuffer)))

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: repeat the last single shell command
@ 2013-07-18 13:52         ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2013-07-18 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:
> Here's an improved version that does handle ! (or whatever char you've
> bound `yf/last-history-element-and-exit' to) only special if it's the
> first char entered at the prompt.

Agreed. Perhaps one of (eq last-command 'shell-command) or (equal ""
(minibuffer-contents-no-properties)) might be used as a more specific
test too, e.g. :

(defun yf/last-history-element-and-exit ()
  "Select the last history element."
  (interactive)
  (if (not (eq last-command 'shell-command))
      (self-insert-command 1)
    (goto-history-element 1)
    (exit-minibuffer)))

Nico.

* Re: repeat the last single shell command
@ 2013-07-18 14:01   ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2013-07-18 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

> (defvar th-last-shell-command)
>
> (defadvice shell-command (before th-capture-shell-command
>                                  (command &optional output-buffer error-buffer)
>                                  activate)
>   (setq th-last-shell-command (list command output-buffer error-buffer)))
>
> (defun th-repeat-last-shell-command ()
>   (interactive)
>   (if th-last-shell-command
>       (apply #'shell-command th-last-shell-command)
>     (message "There's no last shell command!")))

Thank you Tassilo and Nicolas, it is clear I have to customize myself
the behavior and you both provided me good advices.

@ 2013-07-18 14:12   ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2013-07-18 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:
> You can capture the last shell command using an advice, and have a
> command for repeating it, though.

Since a history is maintained accross invocations, there must be a
variable holding that, already. Its name is shell-command-history ; its
(car) holds the last command.

--
Nico.

* Re: repeat the last single shell command
@ 2013-07-18 14:18           ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]             ` <mailman.1343.1374163702.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2013-07-18 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Nicolas Richard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> writes:

>> Here's an improved version that does handle ! (or whatever char
>> you've bound `yf/last-history-element-and-exit' to) only special if
>> it's the first char entered at the prompt.
>
> Agreed. Perhaps one of (eq last-command 'shell-command) or (equal ""
> (minibuffer-contents-no-properties)) might be used as a more specific
> test too, e.g. :

That ties it to `shell-command'.  You could bind the other version also
in `minibuffer-local-map', and then `M-: !' would reevaluate the last
lisp expression, `M-! !' would reexecute the last shell command, `M-x !'
would execute the last complex command, `C-x C-f !'  would find the last
found file, `C-x b !' would switch to the last switched to buffer, etc.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: repeat the last single shell command
@ 2013-07-18 14:22     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2013-07-18 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Nicolas Richard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:
>> You can capture the last shell command using an advice, and have a
>> command for repeating it, though.
>
> Since a history is maintained accross invocations, there must be a
> variable holding that, already. Its name is shell-command-history ;
> its (car) holds the last command.

Indeed, so

(defun th-repeat-last-shell-command ()
  (interactive)
  (if (car shell-command-history)
      (apply #'shell-command (car shell-command-history))
    (message "There's no last shell command!")))

is enough.

Bye,
Tassilo

@ 2013-07-18 14:45         ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2013-07-18 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.1333.1374153910.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

> Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> writes:
>
> >> Yes, it works, but that's pretty much the same of M-p. I'd like to
> >> know if there's some shortcut, let's say like M-!!, to immediatly
> >> repeat the last command. Otherwise I have to define a function.
> >
> > I think M-! M-p RET is simple enough, but you can do this:
> >
> > (defun yf/last-history-element-and-exit ()
> >   "Select the last history element."
> >   (interactive)
> >   (goto-history-element 1)
> >   (exit-minibuffer))
> > (define-key minibuffer-local-shell-command-map (kbd "!")
> > 'yf/last-history-element-and-exit)
>
> Nice idea, but then you can't enter ! anymore in a shell command.

It's not too often that one needs that character in shell one-liners.
But if you do, you can always type it with C-q !.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: repeat the last single shell command
@ 2013-07-18 16:08             ` Yuri Khan
       [not found]             ` <mailman.1343.1374163702.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Yuri Khan @ 2013-07-18 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: Nicolas Richard, help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

> That ties it to `shell-command'.  You could bind the other version also
> in `minibuffer-local-map', and then `M-: !' would reevaluate the last
> lisp expression, `M-! !' would reexecute the last shell command, `M-x !'
> would execute the last complex command, `C-x C-f !'  would find the last
> found file, `C-x b !' would switch to the last switched to buffer, etc.

That kind of misses the point, which for M-! ! is the fact that it’s
easy to type — because of finger position caching. (I’d maybe even go
as far as making it M-! M-!.) After M-: or M-x, ! is not in the cache.

@ 2013-07-18 19:07               ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2013-07-18 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs