all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* beginning-of-defun / end-of-defun mark set message
@ 2012-08-22  3:09 drain
From: drain @ 2012-08-22  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

What's the point in leaving the second arg to push-mark nil (i.e., NOMSG)?

I ended up disabling it (push-mark () t) in mods of these two functions, but
before I embrace the change, I'd like to know the thinking behind leaving
the message in, in the case of these two functions. It makes sense
elsewhere, particularly when the user is calling push-mark directly
(C-space), and it's not embedded into a larger function body.

* Re: beginning-of-defun / end-of-defun mark set message
       [not found] <mailman.7381.1345604968.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-08-22  6:54 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2012-08-22  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.7381.1345604968.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 drain <aeuster@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the point in leaving the second arg to push-mark nil (i.e., NOMSG)?
>
> I ended up disabling it (push-mark () t) in mods of these two functions, but
> before I embrace the change, I'd like to know the thinking behind leaving
> the message in, in the case of these two functions. It makes sense
> elsewhere, particularly when the user is calling push-mark directly
> (C-space), and it's not embedded into a larger function body.

In general, commands that set the mark should display a message,
especially if this isn't the command's primary purpose.  It's the same
reason that beginning/end-of-buffer display the message.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA