all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Refer to List of Arguments in Emacs Lisp Function
@ 2014-11-13  8:02 Alexander Shukaev
       [not found] ` <mailman.13556.1415895434.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alexander Shukaev @ 2014-11-13  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I can't find whether there is a possibility to refer to the whole list of
arguments of a function in Emacs Lisp. For example:

(defun move (x y z)
  (apply do-move (args))

What I mean by (args) primitive here is a list (x y z). This use case
illustrates usefulness of such a primitive, i.e. forwarding of arguments to
another internal call without a need to rewrite them by hand. (length
(args)) might be useful in some cases too. Is there anything like that in
Emacs Lisp already?

* Re: Refer to List of Arguments in Emacs Lisp Function
       [not found] <mailman.13526.1415865742.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-11-13  8:27 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2014-11-13  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alexander Shukaev wrote:
> (defun move (x y z)
>   (apply do-move (args))

(defun move (&rest args)
  (apply #'do-move args)))

HTH

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: Refer to List of Arguments in Emacs Lisp Function
@ 2014-11-13  8:35   ` Alexander Shukaev
       [not found]     ` <mailman.13561.1415897958.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alexander Shukaev @ 2014-11-13  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> (defun move (&rest args)
>   (apply #'do-move args)))

I'm aware of that, but that's not what I'm looking for... I'm interested in
required arguments in the first place.

@ 2014-11-13 16:02 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2014-11-13 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.13526.1415865742.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Alexander Shukaev <haroogan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I can't find whether there is a possibility to refer to the whole list of
> arguments of a function in Emacs Lisp. For example:
>
> (defun move (x y z)
>   (apply do-move (args))
>
> What I mean by (args) primitive here is a list (x y z). This use case
> illustrates usefulness of such a primitive, i.e. forwarding of arguments to
> another internal call without a need to rewrite them by hand. (length
> (args)) might be useful in some cases too. Is there anything like that in
> Emacs Lisp already?

I don't think there's any built-in way to get a list of the arguments
that were named separately in the argument list. Emacs Lisp's argument
processing is very similar to Common Lisp's, and it doesn't have a way
to do it, either. So you have to refer to the named arguments themselves:

(defun move (x y z)
  (apply do-move (list x y z)))

(defun move (x y z)
  (funcall do-move x y z))

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: Refer to List of Arguments in Emacs Lisp Function
@ 2014-11-13 16:16 ` Marcin Borkowski
       [not found] ` <mailman.13556.1415895434.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-11-13 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2014-11-13, at 09:02, Alexander Shukaev wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I can't find whether there is a possibility to refer to the whole list of
> arguments of a function in Emacs Lisp. For example:
>
> (defun move (x y z)
>   (apply do-move (args))
>
> What I mean by (args) primitive here is a list (x y z). This use case
> illustrates usefulness of such a primitive, i.e. forwarding of arguments to
> another internal call without a need to rewrite them by hand. (length
> (args)) might be useful in some cases too. Is there anything like that in
> Emacs Lisp already?

(defun move (&rest args)
  (apply #'do-move args))

Note that (apply do-move (args)) would not work: first, you have to
quote do-move, second, (args) would try to call a function `args'.

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Refer to List of Arguments in Emacs Lisp Function
@ 2014-11-13 16:58     ` Andreas Röhler
       [not found]     ` <mailman.13561.1415897958.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2014-11-13 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 13.11.2014 09:35, Alexander Shukaev wrote:

>> (defun move (&rest args)
>>    (apply #'do-move args)))
>>

> I'm aware of that, but that's not what I'm looking for... I'm interested in
> required arguments in the first place.

What about that way:

(cadr (symbol-function 'MY-FUNCTION))

@ 2014-11-13 19:20       ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2014-11-13 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.13561.1415897958.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> wrote:

> On 13.11.2014 09:35, Alexander Shukaev wrote:
> >>
> >> (defun move (&rest args)
> >>    (apply #'do-move args)))
> >>

> > I'm aware of that, but that's not what I'm looking for... I'm interested in
> > required arguments in the first place.
> >

> What about that way:
>
> (cadr (symbol-function 'MY-FUNCTION))

That will return the names of the arguments, not the list of actual
arguments in a call.

--

@ 2014-11-13 19:23   ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2014-11-13 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.13556.1415895434.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:

> On 2014-11-13, at 09:02, Alexander Shukaev wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I can't find whether there is a possibility to refer to the whole list of
> > arguments of a function in Emacs Lisp. For example:
> >
> > (defun move (x y z)
> >   (apply do-move (args))
> >
> > What I mean by (args) primitive here is a list (x y z). This use case
> > illustrates usefulness of such a primitive, i.e. forwarding of arguments to
> > another internal call without a need to rewrite them by hand. (length
> > (args)) might be useful in some cases too. Is there anything like that in
> > Emacs Lisp already?
>
> (defun move (&rest args)
>   (apply #'do-move args))
>
> Note that (apply do-move (args)) would not work: first, you have to
> quote do-move, second, (args) would try to call a function `args'.

You don't have to quote do-move if it's a variable, e.g. in a context
like:

(let ((do-move (if something #'move1 #'move2)))
  (apply do-move (args)))

And I think he was actually asking if there's a function that returns
all the arguments, which you would calls as (args).

--

@ 2014-11-14  1:52         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-11-14  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> That will return the names of the arguments, not the list of actual
       ^^^^
       may

It may also signal an error.

* Re: Refer to List of Arguments in Emacs Lisp Function
@ 2014-11-14  3:56           ` Alexander Shukaev
From: Alexander Shukaev @ 2014-11-14  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

It seems to me that this feature is relatively easy to implement by
modifying the `defun' macro. Would anyone be interested to see this in
future release of Emacs?

* Re: Refer to List of Arguments in Emacs Lisp Function
@ 2014-11-14 13:35       ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2014-11-14 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:
> What about that way:
>
> (cadr (symbol-function 'MY-FUNCTION))

I guess this will bomb in lexbind context, no ?

--
Nicolas Richard

@ 2014-11-17 11:04 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2014-11-17 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 09:02:14 +0100 Alexander Shukaev <haroogan@gmail.com> wrote:

AS> I can't find whether there is a possibility to refer to the whole list of
AS> arguments of a function in Emacs Lisp. For example:

AS> (defun move (x y z)
AS>   (apply do-move (args))

AS> What I mean by (args) primitive here is a list (x y z). This use case
AS> illustrates usefulness of such a primitive, i.e. forwarding of arguments to
AS> another internal call without a need to rewrite them by hand.

I think `apply-partially' and function aliasing are more typical
solution for this use case in today's Emacs. Macros also help, depending
on the situation. Not to say your need is not valid, but it's definitely
not common.

AS> (length (args)) might be useful in some cases too. Is there anything
AS> like that in Emacs Lisp already?

Sorry... I'm not aware of such a thing.

Ted