all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-05 11:13 Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-11-05 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm trying to learn elisp and have a couple of basic questions.

I'm iterating over a list using dotimes, but in the body of dotimes,
the list can mutate. For example I have:

  (dolist (elt lst)
    ;; some codes
    (nconc lst '(2)))

This adds/appends a new element to 'lst' list. It looks like 'dotimes'
doesn't like it.

So I eventually wrote it like this

    (setq i 0)
    (while (< i (length lst))
          ;; some codes
          (x-nconc lst '(2))))
      (setq i (1+ i)))

which is a bit ugly, is there another way to do that ?

I also need to iterate over elements of a vector.  I basically use a
'while' loop as above. Is there any helper to do that, I looked at
"(elisp) Sequences Arrays Vectors" but found nothing appropriate.

And finally, is it the good place to ask such questions about elisp ?

Thanks

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-05 11:50 ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found] ` <mailman.10118.1257421858.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-05 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to learn elisp and have a couple of basic questions.
>
> I'm iterating over a list using dotimes, but in the body of dotimes,
> the list can mutate. For example I have:
>
>  (dolist (elt lst)
>    ;; some codes
>    (nconc lst '(2)))
>
> This adds/appends a new element to 'lst' list. It looks like 'dotimes'
> doesn't like it.
>
> So I eventually wrote it like this
>
>    (setq i 0)
>    (while (< i (length lst))
>          ;; some codes
>          (x-nconc lst '(2))))
>      (setq i (1+ i)))
>
> which is a bit ugly, is there another way to do that ?

It is much easier to answer if you define exactly what you want to do
when lst grows.

@ 2009-11-05 12:07   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-11-05 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 5, 12:50 pm, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > I'm trying to learn elisp and have a couple of basic questions.
>
> > I'm iterating over a list using dotimes, but in the body of dotimes,
> > the list can mutate. For example I have:
>
> >  (dolist (elt lst)
> >    ;; some codes
> >    (nconc lst '(2)))
>
> > This adds/appends a new element to 'lst' list. It looks like 'dotimes'
> > doesn't like it.
>
> > So I eventually wrote it like this
>
> >    (setq i 0)
> >    (while (< i (length lst))
> >          ;; some codes
> >          (x-nconc lst '(2))))
> >      (setq i (1+ i)))
>
> > which is a bit ugly, is there another way to do that ?
>
> It is much easier to answer if you define exactly what you want to do
> when lst grows.

I'd like to iterate over all elements of the list even if the element
are appended during the loop execution.

For example if the list is (1 2) before entering in the loop and then
during the first iteration the code append '3' to the list so it
becomes (1 2 3), I'd like the loop to iterate over the '3' element as
well. 'dotimes' doesn't seem to do that.

I noticed that I used 'x-nconc' without giving its definition: it is
something I wrote for my own need: it's the same as 'nconc' except if
the list given in parameter is nil then 'x-nconc' creates a new list
and assigns it to its first parameter.

I did the following macro to do that, although I'm not sure it's the
good thing to do:

  (defmacro x-nconc (l e)
    `(if (null ,l) (setq ,l ,e) (nconc ,l ,e)))

@ 2009-11-05 12:44     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-05 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 5, 12:50 pm, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>>
>> > I'm trying to learn elisp and have a couple of basic questions.
>>
>> > I'm iterating over a list using dotimes, but in the body of dotimes,
>> > the list can mutate. For example I have:
>>
>> >  (dolist (elt lst)
>> >    ;; some codes
>> >    (nconc lst '(2)))
>>
>> > This adds/appends a new element to 'lst' list. It looks like 'dotimes'
>> > doesn't like it.
>>
>> > So I eventually wrote it like this
>>
>> >    (setq i 0)
>> >    (while (< i (length lst))
>> >          ;; some codes
>> >          (x-nconc lst '(2))))
>> >      (setq i (1+ i)))
>>
>> > which is a bit ugly, is there another way to do that ?
>>
>> It is much easier to answer if you define exactly what you want to do
>> when lst grows.
>
> I'd like to iterate over all elements of the list even if the element
> are appended during the loop execution.
>
> For example if the list is (1 2) before entering in the loop and then
> during the first iteration the code append '3' to the list so it
> becomes (1 2 3), I'd like the loop to iterate over the '3' element as
> well. 'dotimes' doesn't seem to do that.

Can't you just add the new elements to the end of the list and in each
iteration check if there are anything left in the tail to handle?

@ 2009-11-05 12:57 ` tomas
       [not found] ` <mailman.10122.1257425638.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: tomas @ 2009-11-05 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-05 12:59     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2009-11-05 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> On Nov 5, 12:50 pm, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'm iterating over a list using dotimes, but in the body of dotimes,
>> > the list can mutate. For example I have:
>>
>> >  (dolist (elt lst)
>> >    ;; some codes
>> >    (nconc lst '(2)))
>>
>> > This adds/appends a new element to 'lst' list. It looks like 'dotimes'
>> > doesn't like it.

dolist.

>> > So I eventually wrote it like this
>>
>> >    (setq i 0)
>> >    (while (< i (length lst))
>> >          ;; some codes
>> >          (x-nconc lst '(2))))
>> >      (setq i (1+ i)))
>>
>> > which is a bit ugly,

This looks like you would use (elt lst i) inside of the loop, quite a
bad idea since you get quadratic behavior.

> I'd like to iterate over all elements of the list even if the element
> are appended during the loop execution.
>
> For example if the list is (1 2) before entering in the loop and then
> during the first iteration the code append '3' to the list so it
> becomes (1 2 3), I'd like the loop to iterate over the '3' element as
> well. 'dotimes' doesn't seem to do that.

dolist

> I noticed that I used 'x-nconc' without giving its definition: it is
> something I wrote for my own need: it's the same as 'nconc' except if
> the list given in parameter is nil then 'x-nconc' creates a new list
> and assigns it to its first parameter.
>
> I did the following macro to do that, although I'm not sure it's the
> good thing to do:
>
>   (defmacro x-nconc (l e)
>     `(if (null ,l) (setq ,l ,e) (nconc ,l ,e)))

Actually, that's pretty stupid since it is exactly the same as
(defmacro (l e) `(setq ,l (nconc ,l ,e)))

It is less obscure to use nconc in the same manner as append, namely
using the return value (and accepting the side-effect for efficiency's
sake).  And then you don't need your personal macro and get more
readable code.

The usual iteration would be something like

(while lst
  <do something with (car lst)>
  <maybe append something to lst>
  (setq lst (cdr lst)))

If you really want efficiency, you'll not append something to lst in
order to avoid quadratic behavior.  Then you'd rather do something like

(let ((iter lst) app)
  (while
    (progn
       (while iter
          <do something with (car iter)>
          <maybe (push something app)>
          (setq lst (cdr lst)))
        app)
     (setq iter (nreverse app) app nil)))

Note that this does not change the original list at all.  If that's not
what is desired, you can write the last setq as

(setq iter (nreverse app) lst (nconc lst iter) app nil)

This still is suboptimal since the nconc will repeatedly traverse the
same elements.  Better solutions will track the additions also by just
pushing them, and do the concatenation as the very last step.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-05 14:25       ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-11-05 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 5, 1:59 pm, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >   (defmacro x-nconc (l e)
> >     `(if (null ,l) (setq ,l ,e) (nconc ,l ,e)))
>
> Actually, that's pretty stupid

thanks

> since it is exactly the same as
> (defmacro (l e) `(setq ,l (nconc ,l ,e)))
>
> It is less obscure to use nconc in the same manner as append, namely
> using the return value (and accepting the side-effect for efficiency's
> sake).  And then you don't need your personal macro and get more
> readable code.

yes, I actually missed the use of the return value.

> The usual iteration would be something like
>
> (while lst
>   <do something with (car lst)>
>   <maybe append something to lst>
>   (setq lst (cdr lst)))
>
> If you really want efficiency, you'll not append something to lst in
> order to avoid quadratic behavior.  Then you'd rather do something like
>
> (let ((iter lst) app)
>   (while
>     (progn
>        (while iter
>           <do something with (car iter)>
>           <maybe (push something app)>
>           (setq lst (cdr lst)))
>         app)
>      (setq iter (nreverse app) app nil)))

hmm, it's probably my lack of elisp usage/knowledge, but it's terribly
hard to read for something really simple to achieve...

BTW, is '(setq lst (cdr lst)))' correct ?

> Note that this does not change the original list at all.  If that's not
> what is desired, you can write the last setq as
>
> (setq iter (nreverse app) lst (nconc lst iter) app nil)
>
> This still is suboptimal since the nconc will repeatedly traverse the
> same elements.

Lists are really implemented as simply linked list ?

@ 2009-11-05 14:29   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-11-05 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 5, 1:57 pm, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 03:13:32AM -0800, Francis Moreau wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > I'm trying to learn elisp and have a couple of basic questions.
>
> > I'm iterating over a list using dotimes, but in the body of dotimes,
> > the list can mutate. For example I have:
>
> >   (dolist (elt lst)
> >     ;; some codes
> >     (nconc lst '(2)))
>
> > This adds/appends a new element to 'lst' list. It looks like 'dotimes'
> > doesn't like it.
>
> > So I eventually wrote it like this
>
> >     (setq i 0)
> >     (while (< i (length lst))
> >           ;; some codes
> >           (x-nconc lst '(2))))
> >       (setq i (1+ i)))
>
> > which is a bit ugly, is there another way to do that ?
>
> What about:
>
>   (let ((l lst))
>     (while l
>       (do-something-with (car l))
>       (setq l (cdr l))))

looks better but as David pointed out, appending something to a list
is quite expensive.

> This should be fine as long as you only append to lst. Dragons might
> emerge whenever you do more drastic things to it ;-)
>
> (and you would have to re-think things when Emacs Lisp becomes
> multi-threaded. It might work then and it might not).

Is this going to happen ?

@ 2009-11-05 14:37         ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-11-05 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>> This still is suboptimal since the nconc will repeatedly traverse the
>> same elements.
>
> Lists are really implemented as simply linked list ?

Not all lists, but lisp lists yes.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.10122.1257425638.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-05 14:41 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-11-05 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to learn elisp and have a couple of basic questions.
>
> I'm iterating over a list using dotimes, but in the body of dotimes,
                                  dolist                      dolist

> the list can mutate. For example I have:
>
>   (dolist (elt lst)
>     ;; some codes
>     (nconc lst '(2)))

This is an infinite loop.  It will break when the program runs out of
memory.

> This adds/appends a new element to 'lst' list. It looks like 'dotimes'
                                                                dolist
> doesn't like it.

If you are not careful, you won't be able to program...

> I also need to iterate over elements of a vector.  I basically use a
> 'while' loop as above. Is there any helper to do that, I looked at
> "(elisp) Sequences Arrays Vectors" but found nothing appropriate.

(require 'cl)
(loop for element in list       do (something element))
(loop for element across vector do (something element))

> And finally, is it the good place to ask such questions about elisp ?

Yes, it's right here.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-05 14:58     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-11-05 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
> I did the following macro to do that, although I'm not sure it's the
> good thing to do:
>
>   (defmacro x-nconc (l e)
>     `(if (null ,l) (setq ,l ,e) (nconc ,l ,e)))

It's ok, but it works only on variables.  If you want your macro to
work on places too, you could use setf instead of setq (actually, you
could always use setf instead of setq):

(require 'cl)

(defmacro* nconcf (place expression &environment environment)
  (destructuring-bind (vars vals store-vars writer-form reader-form)
       (get-setf-method place environment)
    (when (rest store-vars) (error "Cannot expand %S" place))
    `(let ,(mapcar* (function list) vars vals)
       (let ((,(first store-vars) ,reader-form))
         (setq ,(first store-vars) (nconc ,(first store-vars) ,expression))
         ,writer-form))))

(let ((a (make-vector 3 '()))
      (i 0))
 (nconcf (aref a (incf i)) '(x))
 (nconcf (aref a (decf i)) '(y))
 (nconcf (aref a (incf i)) '(x))
 a)
--> [(y) (x x) nil]

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-05 15:06   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2009-11-05 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to learn elisp and have a couple of basic questions.
>>
>> I'm iterating over a list using dotimes, but in the body of dotimes,
>                                   dolist                      dolist
>
>> the list can mutate. For example I have:
>>
>>   (dolist (elt lst)
>>     ;; some codes
>>     (nconc lst '(2)))
>
> This is an infinite loop.  It will break when the program runs out of
> memory.

It was oversimplified.  But it violates one basic principle of
programming:

Only ever use destructive list operators like nconc on lists that have
been consed together _entirely_ under your control.

In this particular case, the cons '(2) has been consed together under
control of the Lisp reader.  The second time this code gets executed,
the cons is destroyed.

For example, the code

(let ((lst (list 1 2 3)))
  (dotimes (i 2 lst) (nconc lst '(2))))

never finishes.  After 2 iterations, you get a circular list which hangs
the third nconc.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-06  5:06   ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2009-11-06  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <87iqdpdog1.fsf@galatea.local>,
 pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to learn elisp and have a couple of basic questions.
> >
> > I'm iterating over a list using dotimes, but in the body of dotimes,
>                                   dolist                      dolist
>
> > the list can mutate. For example I have:
> >
> >   (dolist (elt lst)
> >     ;; some codes
> >     (nconc lst '(2)))
>
> This is an infinite loop.  It will break when the program runs out of
> memory.

It also modifies a literal, which modifies the function itself
(resulting in a circular list of (2 2 2 2 ...)).  Change that nconc to:

(nconc lst (list 2))

to avoid that.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-06 16:03     ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-11-06 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 5 nov, 16:06, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
> p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:
>

> > Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> Hello,
>
> >> I'm trying to learn elisp and have a couple of basic questions.
>
> >> I'm iterating over a list using dotimes, but in the body of dotimes,
> >                                   dolist                      dolist
>
> >> the list can mutate. For example I have:
>
> >>   (dolist (elt lst)
> >>     ;; some codes
> >>     (nconc lst '(2)))
>
> > This is an infinite loop.  It will break when the program runs out of
> > memory.
>
> It was oversimplified.  But it violates one basic principle of
> programming:

Basic principle of _elisp_ programming, I asssume...

> Only ever use destructive list operators like nconc on lists that have
> been consed together _entirely_ under your control.
>
> In this particular case, the cons '(2) has been consed together under
> control of the Lisp reader.  The second time this code gets executed,
> the cons is destroyed.

eh ?

When I wrote '(2), I suppose the elisp interpreter to create a new
list. And doing (nconc lst '(2)), I assume that this new list is now
referenced by 'lst', hence can't be destroyed.

I initialy thought that this didn't work, but after retrying it, I got
the correct result:

(let ((lst (list 1 2 3)))
  (dolist (elt lst)
    (when (eq elt 1)
      (nconc lst '(4))))
  lst)

which evalutes to "(1 2 3 4)"

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-06 16:49       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2009-11-06 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> On 5 nov, 16:06, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
>> p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

>> >                                   dolist                      dolist

>> > This is an infinite loop.  It will break when the program runs out of
>> > memory.
>>
>> It was oversimplified.  But it violates one basic principle of
>> programming:
>
> Basic principle of _elisp_ programming, I asssume...

Of Lisp programming.

>> Only ever use destructive list operators like nconc on lists that
>> have been consed together _entirely_ under your control.
>>
>> In this particular case, the cons '(2) has been consed together under
>> control of the Lisp reader.  The second time this code gets executed,
>> the cons is destroyed.
>
> eh ?

Did you try my example?

> When I wrote '(2), I suppose the elisp interpreter to create a new
> list.

It does so, but at read time.  Not execution time.

> And doing (nconc lst '(2)), I assume that this new list is now
> referenced by 'lst', hence can't be destroyed.

Garbage collection is the least of your problems.

> I initialy thought that this didn't work, but after retrying it, I got
> the correct result:
>
> (let ((lst (list 1 2 3)))
>   (dolist (elt lst)
>     (when (eq elt 1)
>       (nconc lst '(4))))
>   lst)
>
> which evalutes to "(1 2 3 4)"

And

(let ((lst (list 1 2 3)))
   (dolist (elt lst)
     (when (< elt 3)
       (nconc lst '(4))))
   lst)

just crashes.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-06 20:53         ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-11-06 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> Basic principle of _elisp_ programming, I asssume...
>
> Of Lisp programming.
>
>>> Only ever use destructive list operators like nconc on lists that
>>> have been consed together _entirely_ under your control.
>>>
>>> In this particular case, the cons '(2) has been consed together under
>>> control of the Lisp reader.  The second time this code gets executed,
>>> the cons is destroyed.
>>
>> eh ?
>
> Did you try my example?

nope I was a bit confused by what you wrote and your example was using
'dotimes'.

>> When I wrote '(2), I suppose the elisp interpreter to create a new
>> list.
>
> It does so, but at read time.  Not execution time.

Ah ok I see what you mean now.

That's a pretty important point, is this part covered by the elisp info ?

Actually the same stands for the implementation of the list, where
nconc, length... are O(n). I wouldn't have thought that lists are really
implemented by the car & cdr thing only.

> And
>
> (let ((lst (list 1 2 3)))
>    (dolist (elt lst)
>      (when (< elt 3)
>        (nconc lst '(4))))
>    lst)
>
> just crashes.

OK.

--
Francis

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-06 21:18           ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-11-06 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>>> When I wrote '(2), I suppose the elisp interpreter to create a new
>>> list.
>>
>> It does so, but at read time.  Not execution time.
>>

> Ah ok I see what you mean now.
>
> That's a pretty important point, is this part covered by the elisp info ?

Yes.

> Actually the same stands for the implementation of the list, where
> nconc, length... are O(n). I wouldn't have thought that lists are really
> implemented by the car & cdr thing only.

Why not?  If people have been repeating for 50 years that lisp lists
are implemented with cons, car and cdr...

(Note however that if you need a different kind of list, you can
always implement your own abstract data type in any way you like.)

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-07 14:49             ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-11-07 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 6 nov, 22:18, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:

> >> It does so, but at read time.  Not execution time.
>
> > Ah ok I see what you mean now.
>
> > That's a pretty important point, is this part covered by the elisp info ?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Actually the same stands for the implementation of the list, where
> > nconc, length... are O(n). I wouldn't have thought that lists are really
> > implemented by the car & cdr thing only.
>
> Why not?  If people have been repeating for 50 years that lisp lists
> are implemented with cons, car and cdr...

Because I can understand there were some memory constraints 50 years
ago that force lisp lists to be as small as possible. But I would have
thought lisp lists (or (e)lisp) to evolve as computer memories did.

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-07 17:50               ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
       [not found]               ` <mailman.10266.1257674088.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-11-07 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

>> > Ah ok I see what you mean now.
>>
>> > That's a pretty important point, is this part covered by the elisp info ?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> > Actually the same stands for the implementation of the list, where
>> > nconc, length... are O(n). I wouldn't have thought that lists are really
>> > implemented by the car & cdr thing only.
>>
>> Why not?  If people have been repeating for 50 years that lisp lists
>> are implemented with cons, car and cdr...
>
> Because I can understand there were some memory constraints 50 years
> ago that force lisp lists to be as small as possible. But I would have
> thought lisp lists (or (e)lisp) to evolve as computer memories did.

Well, contrarily to Microsoft, we don't have enough time and money to
grow a bloatware out of the language.  If lists as chains of cons
cells could be held in small memories 50 years ago, they can still be
held in big memories nowadays, there's no point in changing that.

However, if you need a "smarter" list abstract data type, you can
always implement it (or use a library).

Note however that you might have a hard time to reach the level of
efficiency given by cons cells.  That is, if you consider cons cells
as immutable, then you can easily share them amongst several prefix
lists, and therefore you spare a lot of cycles and a lot of memory not
copying them.

If you try to invent a list ADT where you keep references to both the
first and last cells for "efficiency" reasons (so you can append an
element in O(1)), then you lose this ability to share lists, and
therefore you will have to copy these lists all over (copying the list
is O(n), and you lost the benefit of O(1) element appending).

If on the contrary you learn to use cons cell based lists, and you
avoid appending elements at the end, but push them on the head (which
is O(1)), then you can share them O(0) for no copying and spare memory
at the same time.  (Even if you need a final result in the other
order, adding a call reverse (O(n)) won't be less efficient than
making copies all the time).

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-08  9:46               ` tomas
       [not found]               ` <mailman.10266.1257674088.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: tomas @ 2009-11-08  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-08 15:18             ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-11-08 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

>>> It does so, but at read time.  Not execution time.
>>>

>> Ah ok I see what you mean now.
>>
>> That's a pretty important point, is this part covered by the elisp info ?
>
> Yes.

Sorry for being blind but I can't find the revelant section.

Could you give me a pointer ?

--
Francis

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-08 16:58               ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2009-11-08 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-08 17:12               ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-11-08 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

>>> Ah ok I see what you mean now.
>>>
>>> That's a pretty important point, is this part covered by the elisp info ?
>>
>> Yes.
>>

> Sorry for being blind but I can't find the revelant section.
>
> Could you give me a pointer ?

Well, there are several places where it's covered, but here is one
where it's explicitely explained:

(info "(elisp)Rearrangement")

 -- Function: nconc &rest lists

     [...]

     A common pitfall is to use a quoted constant list as a non-last
     argument to `nconc'.  If you do this, your program will change
     each time you run it!  Here is what happens:

          (defun add-foo (x)            ; We want this function to add
            (nconc '(foo) x))           ;   `foo' to the front of its arg.

          (symbol-function 'add-foo)
               => (lambda (x) (nconc (quote (foo)) x))

          (setq xx (add-foo '(1 2)))    ; It seems to work.
               => (foo 1 2)
          (setq xy (add-foo '(3 4)))    ; What happened?
               => (foo 1 2 3 4)
          (eq xx xy)
               => t

          (symbol-function 'add-foo)
               => (lambda (x) (nconc (quote (foo 1 2 3 4) x)))

Of course, it could be infered from:
C-h f quote RET
or:
(info "(elisp)Quoting")

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

@ 2009-11-09 20:51                 ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-11-09 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tomas@tuxteam.de writes:

> On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 06:49:52AM -0800, Francis Moreau wrote:
>> On 6 nov, 22:18, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:
>> > Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>> >
>> > Why not?  If people have been repeating for 50 years that lisp lists
>> > are implemented with cons, car and cdr...
>>
>> Because I can understand there were some memory constraints 50 years
>> ago that force lisp lists to be as small as possible. But I would have
>> thought lisp lists (or (e)lisp) to evolve as computer memories did.
>
> There's no "one data structure fits all" philosophy here. Use list for
> "list things" and arrays for "array things". Nowadays all Lisps have
> some form or other of array.
>
> And still, lists are among the strongest points of Lisp. They are
> simple and flexible, they are the representation of Lisp programs. They
> are the reason why Lisp programmers are writing programs that write
> programs ever since ~50 years ago.
>
> If a list doesn't fit your bill, by all means: use defstruct, use
> arrays, use hashes. But (as Pascal pointed out), sometimes lists fit a
> bill quite unexpectedly, if you are willing to think flexibly (e.g. push
> new elements at the head instead of append, etc).

yeah, optimized push/pop operations of lists is a bit unusual for me,
it's actually like using stack instead of lists. Specially since the
first code I tried to write with elisp was a sort algo where order
matters and first parsed elements need to be the first ones in the list.

Thanks
--
Francis

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-09 21:04                 ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-11-09 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

>>> Yes.
>>>

>> Sorry for being blind but I can't find the revelant section.
>>
>> Could you give me a pointer ?
>
> Well, there are several places where it's covered, but here is one
> where it's explicitely explained:
>

> (info "(elisp)Rearrangement")
>

>  -- Function: nconc &rest lists
>
>      [...]
>
>      A common pitfall is to use a quoted constant list as a non-last
>      argument to `nconc'.  If you do this, your program will change
>      each time you run it!  Here is what happens:
>
>           (defun add-foo (x)            ; We want this function to add
>             (nconc '(foo) x))           ;   `foo' to the front of its arg.
>
>           (symbol-function 'add-foo)
>                => (lambda (x) (nconc (quote (foo)) x))
>
>           (setq xx (add-foo '(1 2)))    ; It seems to work.
>                => (foo 1 2)
>           (setq xy (add-foo '(3 4)))    ; What happened?
>                => (foo 1 2 3 4)
>           (eq xx xy)
>                => t
>
>           (symbol-function 'add-foo)
>                => (lambda (x) (nconc (quote (foo 1 2 3 4) x)))

ok that tells: "don't do that !" but it doesn't tell why not...

> Of course, it could be infered from:
> C-h f quote RET
> or:
> (info "(elisp)Quoting")

There's nothing here about a cons built by the Lisp Reader.

Thanks
--
Francis

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-10 12:11                   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2009-11-10 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau wrote:
> pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:
>> Well, there are several places where it's covered, but here is one
>> where it's explicitely explained:
>>
>> (info "(elisp)Rearrangement")
[...]
> ok that tells: "don't do that !" but it doesn't tell why not...

just imagine a list as an object living somewhere in the memory of your
computer. then try to figure out which list gets *modified* by the call to
nconc, keeping in mind that nconc does *not* copy its arguments before doing its
job.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: Basic questions about elisp
@ 2009-11-10 14:16                     ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-11-10 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 10, 1:11 pm, Joost Kremers <joostkrem...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Francis Moreau wrote:
> > p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:
> >> Well, there are several places where it's covered, but here is one
> >> where it's explicitely explained:
>
> >> (info "(elisp)Rearrangement")
> [...]
>
> > ok that tells: "don't do that !" but it doesn't tell why not...
>
> just imagine a list as an object living somewhere in the memory of your
> computer. then try to figure out which list gets *modified* by the call to
> nconc, keeping in mind that nconc does *not* copy its arguments before doing its
> job.

I don't really want to imagine some scenarios when reading this kind
of documentation.

BTW, the documentation is actually taking about the non-last argument,
however I was using a constant list for the last argument. So it
wouldn't apply in my case...

@ 2009-11-10 18:53                       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2009-11-10 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> On Nov 10, 1:11 pm, Joost Kremers <joostkrem...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Francis Moreau wrote:

>> [...]
>>
>> > ok that tells: "don't do that !" but it doesn't tell why not...
>>
>> just imagine a list as an object living somewhere in the memory of
>> your computer. then try to figure out which list gets *modified* by
>> the call to nconc, keeping in mind that nconc does *not* copy its
>> arguments before doing its job.
>
> I don't really want to imagine some scenarios when reading this kind
> of documentation.
>
> BTW, the documentation is actually taking about the non-last argument,
> however I was using a constant list for the last argument. So it
> wouldn't apply in my case...

In the second iteration, your constant list has become part of the first
argument.

--
David Kastrup