In article , Matthew Dempsky wrote: > On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Andreas Röhler > wrote: > > Why should questioned string respond here it contains an empty string at > > position 0? > > Makes no sense for me. > > Here's an analogy: (string-match "xyzzy" "fooxyzzybar") returns 3. > This is because the first 5 characters starting at position 3 are > "xyzzy", the same as the first string parameter. The significance of > 5 here is the length of "xyzzy". > > Similarly, (string-match "" "foo") returns 0. This is because the > first 0 characters starting at position are "", the same as the first > string parameter. Here's another example of a limit case: (string-match "a*" "b") returns 0, because a* matches zero or more a's, and there are zero a's at position 0. -- Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu Arlington, MA *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me *** *** PLEASE don't copy me on replies, I'll read them in the group ***