In article <6dbf5b52-af69-4517-ae82-6dbed45492b5@s20g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, Xah wrote: > On Aug 23, 2:41 pm, Barry Margolin wrote: > > > Nope, you have it wrong. Meta came from the SAIL keyboard at Stanford > > AI Lab, developed in 1971. This was more than a decade before Sun was > > founded. Of course, the Sun founders came from Stanford, so they were > > undoubtedly familiar with this keyboard, and the diamond key was > > presumably put there to serve the same function. Similarly with Apple's > > command key. > > > > http://www.stanford.edu/~learnest/sailaway.htm > > > > http://infolab.stanford.edu/pub/voy/museum/pictures > > /display/1-6-RAIL-keybd.jpg > > Thanks for this informative post! > > Quote from the article: > > «A fancier display system, installed at SAIL in 1971, put a terminal > using a television monitor on everyone's desk. SAIL was apparently the > first system in the world that put terminals in offices -- before > that, the few computer displays that existed were kept in "display > rooms." This display system also included an advanced keyboard that > introduced the "Meta" key and other features to facilitate touch- > typing. That keyboard design was picked up promptly by MIT and > Carnegie-Mellon University and later by Apple, whose Command key is a > direct descendent of the Meta key on the SAIL keyboard.» > > i did a quick google image search but didn't find more photos... > > is here more info about this keyboard? or other doc about the origin > of the Meta? I wasn't able to find much more, either. Googling for "sail keyboard" mostly finds articles about bands whose song titles contain the word "sail". Google needs a way for you to tell it the general topic area, so when you're looking for computer stuff you don't get rock & roll answers. But you might want to look at the picture of the Knight keyboard, which was MIT's evolution of the SAIL keyboard: http://world.std.com/~jdostale/kbd/Knight.html and the Space Cadet keyboard that was derived from it for use on the Lisp Machines: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-cadet_keyboard -- Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu Arlington, MA *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me *** *** PLEASE don't copy me on replies, I'll read them in the group ***