all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* running a command that requires two parameters on a file
@ 2014-08-06 15:10 Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2014-08-06 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am in the habit of bringing up ! in order to run a command such as
xpdf on a selected file.

The problem comes when I want to run the command wkhtmltopdf, for it
calls for two parameters. That is, emacs won't let me do: ! wkhtmltopdf
input.html output.pdf.

Is there a way I can do this withou raising a terminal to make the
conversion with it?

Haines Brown

* Re: running a command that requires two parameters on a file
@ 2014-08-06 15:20 ` Barry Margolin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Barry Margolin @ 2014-08-06 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <87fvh98xi3.fsf@bach.histomat.net>,
 Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> wrote:

> I am in the habit of bringing up ! in order to run a command such as
> xpdf on a selected file.

I assume you're talking about Dired.

> The problem comes when I want to run the command wkhtmltopdf, for it
> calls for two parameters. That is, emacs won't let me do: ! wkhtmltopdf
> input.html output.pdf.
>
> Is there a way I can do this withou raising a terminal to make the
> conversion with it?
>
> Haines Brown

Write a script that takes one argument and fills in the other argument.
Then run: ! scriptname

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: running a command that requires two parameters on a file
@ 2014-08-06 16:11 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
       [not found] ` <mailman.7002.1407823212.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2014-08-06 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> writes:

> I am in the habit of bringing up ! in order to run a command such as
> xpdf on a selected file.
>
> The problem comes when I want to run the command wkhtmltopdf, for it
> calls for two parameters. That is, emacs won't let me do: ! wkhtmltopdf
> input.html output.pdf.

You are a filthy liar!

Type:

        M-! wkhtmltopdf input.html output.pdf RET

> Is there a way I can do this withou raising a terminal to make the
> conversion with it?

There are several ways, I shown just one above.

* Re: running a command that requires two parameters on a file
@ 2014-08-09 12:16   ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2014-08-09 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

> Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> writes:

>> The problem comes when I want to run the command wkhtmltopdf, for it
>> calls for two parameters. That is, emacs won't let me do: ! wkhtmltopdf
>> input.html output.pdf.

> Type:
>
>         M-! wkhtmltopdf input.html output.pdf RET

Pascal, thanks. Somehow I missed this in the manual.

Haines

* Re: running a command that requires two parameters on a file
@ 2014-08-12  5:59 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.7002.1407823212.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2014-08-12  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 8/6/14 9:10 AM, Haines Brown wrote:
> I am in the habit of bringing up ! in order to run a command such as
> xpdf on a selected file.
>
> The problem comes when I want to run the command wkhtmltopdf, for it
> calls for two parameters. That is, emacs won't let me do: ! wkhtmltopdf
> input.html output.pdf.
>
> Is there a way I can do this withou raising a terminal to make the
> conversion with it?

Mark both files with `m', then `! wkhtmltopdf *'

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2014-08-12 14:42   ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2014-08-12 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.7002.1407823212.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/6/14 9:10 AM, Haines Brown wrote:
> > I am in the habit of bringing up ! in order to run a command such as
> > xpdf on a selected file.
> >
> > The problem comes when I want to run the command wkhtmltopdf, for it
> > calls for two parameters. That is, emacs won't let me do: ! wkhtmltopdf
> > input.html output.pdf.
> >
> > Is there a way I can do this withou raising a terminal to make the
> > conversion with it?
>
> Mark both files with `m', then `! wkhtmltopdf *'

This method is probably only useful when the order of the filename
arguments is not important. But if one file is input and the other is
output, and the order determines which is which, you could run into
problems if Dired puts them in the wrong order.