all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Groovy script that reads stdin fails with "java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol: c" when run with "shell-command-on-region"
@ 2015-02-12 20:54 KARR, DAVID
From: KARR, DAVID @ 2015-02-12 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm using Emacs 24.3.90.1 in Cygwin on Win7.

I have a Groovy script that reads from stdin, and it works fine when I run it from Bash, piping text into the process.

I'm now trying to select text in an Emacs buffer, and then execute "shell-command-on-region"  The text I'm selecting appears to be identical to what I'm sending on the command line.

When I run this, it fails with "java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol: c".

This obviously has something to do with my PATH, but I'm not sure what could be wrong.  This might be more of a Cygwin question than an Emacs question.  I tried going into my "*scratch*" buffer and printed out the PATH that the process sees, and it obviously has entries in "/c/..." (I set my cygdrive prefix to "c").

* Re: Groovy script that reads stdin fails with "java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol: c" when run with "shell-command-on-region"
       [not found] <mailman.19772.1423774479.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-02-12 21:33 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2015-02-12 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.19772.1423774479.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 "KARR, DAVID" <dk068x@att.com> wrote:

> I'm using Emacs 24.3.90.1 in Cygwin on Win7.
>
> I have a Groovy script that reads from stdin, and it works fine when I run it
> from Bash, piping text into the process.
>
> I'm now trying to select text in an Emacs buffer, and then execute
> "shell-command-on-region"  The text I'm selecting appears to be identical to
> what I'm sending on the command line.
>
> When I run this, it fails with "java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown
> protocol: c".
>
> This obviously has something to do with my PATH, but I'm not sure what could
> be wrong.  This might be more of a Cygwin question than an Emacs question.  I
> tried going into my "*scratch*" buffer and printed out the PATH that the
> process sees, and it obviously has entries in "/c/..." (I set my cygdrive
> prefix to "c").

It doesn't sound like anything to do with the PATH. It sounds like
something is generating a Windows filename of the form c:/pathname, and
the script is treating that as a URL rather than a local filename. I
guess it has something to do with the way that Emacs implements piping
to a subprocess.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

@ 2015-02-13  3:02 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2015-02-13  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KARR, DAVID; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"KARR, DAVID" <dk068x@att.com> writes:
> When I run this, it fails with "java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol: c".
>
> This obviously has something to do with my PATH, but I'm not sure what could be wrong.  This might be more of a Cygwin question than an Emacs question.  I tried going into my "*scratch*" buffer and printed out the PATH that the process sees, and it obviously has entries in "/c/..." (I set my cygdrive prefix to "c").

Probably you are mixing Cygwin software with native Windows software.
The two are making different assumptions about path conventions and
that's causing problems.

BR,
Robert Thorpe