all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Buffer or string as file input?
@ 2014-02-21 20:05 Jonathon McKitrick
From: Jonathon McKitrick @ 2014-02-21 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I need to call CALL-PROCESS but the stdin argument will be a string I am constructing.  I would prefer to avoid writing that to a file just to read it into the command.

Is there a way to use a buffer or string as a file input, like a stream?

* Re: Buffer or string as file input?
@ 2014-02-21 23:46 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2014-02-21 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <e6be9402-c808-4e60-af58-6d7ee6d7ed47@googlegroups.com>,
 Jonathon McKitrick <jmckitrick@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to call CALL-PROCESS but the stdin argument will be a string I am
> constructing.  I would prefer to avoid writing that to a file just to read it
> into the command.
>
> Is there a way to use a buffer or string as a file input, like a stream?

call-process-region uses a region in the current buffer as stdin for the
process.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA