all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to list, add, edit, save file on a remote server
@ 2012-08-31 23:16 Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-08-31 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi List,

a very general question, with the hope to get some general advice what
route to take:

Suppose you are registered on a foreign server with the right to add and
edit files, and there is no Emacs running on that server. There exists
an Emacs mode for the type of files on the server, and you want to
access the server, list all files, select a file for editing, save
edits, or even add a new file - all from within Emacs, without ever
touching the webinterface.

How would you do that?
Via FTP? With Tramp? Would it be possible to run dired on the foreign
server?

I would need some hints where to start my own investigations.
TIA

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: How to list, add, edit, save file on a remote server
       [not found] <mailman.7889.1346454792.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-08-31 23:53 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2012-08-31 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.7889.1346454792.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> a very general question, with the hope to get some general advice what
> route to take:
>
> Suppose you are registered on a foreign server with the right to add and
> edit files, and there is no Emacs running on that server. There exists
> an Emacs mode for the type of files on the server, and you want to
> access the server, list all files, select a file for editing, save
> edits, or even add a new file - all from within Emacs, without ever
> touching the webinterface.
>
> How would you do that?
> Via FTP? With Tramp? Would it be possible to run dired on the foreign
> server?
>
> I would need some hints where to start my own investigations.
> TIA

Tramp is one way. If you're using some flavor of Unix, another option is
FUSE with SSHFS or FTPFS -- this works independently of Emacs and makes
the remote filesystem appear to be in your local hierarchy.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: How to list, add, edit, save file on a remote server
@ 2012-09-01  7:25 ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2012-09-01  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2012-09-01, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:

> How would you do that?
> Via FTP? With Tramp? Would it be possible to run dired on the foreign
> server?

Tramp.

To login to server from Emacs:

  /ssh:user@host:/etc/  TAB  <-- completion work here, but you prompted for
                                 password if don't setup RSA/DSA keys.

To list file on server:

  /ssh:user@host:/etc/ RET

To open file from server:

  /ssh:user@host:/home/user/.bashrc RET

Also M-x find-dired, rgrep, lgrep, compile - properly work with TRAMP (run
on remote server and show result in your Emacs).

Read manual: C-h i S tramp RET RET

--
Best regards!

* Re: How to list, add, edit, save file on a remote server
@ 2012-09-01 12:18   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-09-01 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2012-09-01, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:
>
>> How would you do that?
>> Via FTP? With Tramp? Would it be possible to run dired on the foreign
>> server?
>
> Tramp.
>
> To login to server from Emacs:
>
>   /ssh:user@host:/etc/  TAB  <-- completion work here, but you prompted for
>                                  password if don't setup RSA/DSA keys.
>
> To list file on server:
>
>   /ssh:user@host:/etc/ RET
>
> To open file from server:
>
>   /ssh:user@host:/home/user/.bashrc RET
>
> Also M-x find-dired, rgrep, lgrep, compile - properly work with TRAMP (run
> on remote server and show result in your Emacs).
>
> Read manual: C-h i S tramp RET RET

That looks easy enough, thanks.
And it would mean that there is no need for extra commands in my Emacs
mode (like M-x my-mode-list-list-wiki-files or so) because Tramp lets
you work on the server (almost) like on your machine - just open a file,
type M-x my-mode and start editing. Nice.

--

@ 2012-09-01 12:19   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-09-01 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

>> How would you do that?
>> Via FTP? With Tramp? Would it be possible to run dired on the foreign
>> server?
>>
>> I would need some hints where to start my own investigations.
>> TIA
>
> Tramp is one way. If you're using some flavor of Unix, another option is
> FUSE with SSHFS or FTPFS -- this works independently of Emacs and makes
> the remote filesystem appear to be in your local hierarchy.

FUSE definitely looks interesting, thanks for the tip.

--

@ 2012-09-04 19:37 ` Jeffery Rancier
From: Jeffery Rancier @ 2012-09-04 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Thorsten Jolitz, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org