In article , Guido Van Hoecke wrote: > Hi, > > "This function is for interactive use only; > >> in Lisp code use `re-search-forward' and `replace-match' instead." > >> ... > >> "In interactive calls, the replacement text may contain `\,'" > >> > > > I still do not get it. Say following content i​n the *scratch* buffer: This isn't done in replace-match. It's specific to replace-regexp, and it checks whether it was invoked interactively rather than from Lisp to determine whether to look for that string. It's a total hack. If you're writing your own Lisp functions, you should use match-string to get the matched string or capture group, do whatever you want to produce the replacement (e.g. call calc-eval), and then call replace-match with this result. -- Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu Arlington, MA *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***