all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to make *shell* auto scroll-down after output?
@ 2006-08-03  4:16 David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2006-08-03  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Subject: how to make *shell* auto scroll-down after output?

How to make *shell* auto scroll-down after output?

Used to be, whenever I gave a shell command (via *shell*) that
output stuff, eg "ls", "cat", etc, the window would automatically
readjust itself (via scrolling) so I could see even the final
line output -- and also the next shell prompt.

No longer happens.  On output, the window just stays there,
with the output flooding down *outside* (and below) the
window, with my shell *command* of course still being visible.

What to execute to make it work as before?

(no, I don't really want to take it down and restart --  not yet,
anyway.)

Anything to put into my .emacs?

Thanks!

David

* Re: how to make *shell* auto scroll-down after output?
@ 2006-08-03  8:24 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-08-03  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.08.2006 um 06:16 schrieb David Combs:

> What to execute to make it work as before?

Put the cursor at the bottom of the *shell* buffer!

Otherwise I'm sure you would prefer to continue to watch the other
spot the cursor is on.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Don't just do something, sit there."

* Re: how to make *shell* auto scroll-down after output?
@ 2006-08-04  3:14 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2006-08-04  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <eartbg$fhp$1@panix2.panix.com>,
 dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

> Subject: how to make *shell* auto scroll-down after output?
>
> How to make *shell* auto scroll-down after output?

See the variable comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-output.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA