all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to clear a register
@ 2009-01-20  5:26 Harry P
       [not found] ` <mailman.5336.1232451298.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Harry P @ 2009-01-20  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm probably blind but when looking through the register related
commands under C-h b.  I don't see something to delete or clear or
even edit a register once you've inserted something in it.

I had no better luck with M-x apropos <ret> register <ret>
Searching for delete, clear, dump, remove.

I see how (using a prefix arg) I can delete a region from the source
when its sent to a register but no way to mess with what is inside a
register.  Don't even see a way to overwrite a register.

Using the i (index) search in the emacs manual to get to the section
on registers... I still see nothing about editing, deleting.

So, I've pretty well exhausted my knowledge of how to find something in
emacs documentation.

Is there any way provided to delete or edit or at least overwrite, text
in a register?

* Re: How to clear a register
       [not found] <mailman.5315.1232429190.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-01-20  9:50 ` Asgeir
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5379.1232474199.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Asgeir @ 2009-01-20  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Do you really need to clear a register ?
You can just override your register saving another information in it.
But effectively, (info "(emacs)registers") does not show any function to
clear a register. It must be useless, therefore.

--
Asgeir

* Re: How to clear a register
@ 2009-01-20 11:34 ` Bastien
       [not found] ` <mailman.5336.1232451298.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bastien @ 2009-01-20 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry P; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Harry,

Harry P <reader@newsguy.com> writes:

> Is there any way provided to delete or edit or at least overwrite,
> text in a register?

You might have a look at register-list.el:

  http://lumiere.ens.fr/~guerry/u/register-list.el

You can list registers and interactively edit them.
You can even edit rectangles easily.

Feedback welcome!

--
 Bastien

* Re: How to clear a register
       [not found] ` <mailman.5336.1232451298.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-01-20 16:59   ` Asgeir
From: Asgeir @ 2009-01-20 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In fact, from register-list.el, you can delete a register evaluating
this Emacs Lisp expression (with M-: for example):

    (delete reg register-alist)

register-alist is the list where are stored the registers.
--
Asgeir

* Re: How to clear a register
@ 2009-01-20 17:56   ` Harry Putnam
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5379.1232474199.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-01-20 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Asgeir <asgeir@free.fr> writes:

> Do you really need to clear a register ?
> You can just override your register saving another information in it.
> But effectively, (info "(emacs)registers") does not show any function to
> clear a register. It must be useless, therefore.

Yeah... I see it is useless... I did mention that I saw no way to
overwrite a register, but of course there is.

Harry wrote:
>> I see how (using a prefix arg) I can delete a region from the source
>> when its sent to a register but no way to mess with what is inside a
>> register.  Don't even see a way to overwrite a register.

I'd gotten hungup on using C-x <left|right>  which of course.. appends
to a register... not realizing I could use C-x r s to overwrite a
register.

Sorry for the line noise.

* Re: How to clear a register
@ 2009-01-20 17:57   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-01-20 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi Harry,
>
> Harry P <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
>
>> Is there any way provided to delete or edit or at least overwrite,
>> text in a register?
>
> You might have a look at register-list.el:
>
>   http://lumiere.ens.fr/~guerry/u/register-list.el
>
> You can list registers and interactively edit them.
> You can even edit rectangles easily.

Thank you... it looks interesting

* Re: How to clear a register
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5379.1232474199.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-01-21  1:18     ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-01-21  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

btw, i find the whole processing of copying to register and giving a
name and pasting from register with a name too cumbersome. So i have:

(defun copy-to-register-1 (p1 p2)
  "Copy text selection to register named “1”."
  (interactive "r")
  (copy-to-register ?1 p1 p2 )
  )

(defun insert-register-content-1 ()
  "Insert register named “1”'s content."
  (interactive)
  (insert-register ?1)
  )

(defalias 'cp1 'copy-to-register-1)
(defalias 'pst1 'insert-register-content-1)

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread