all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Macro editing fails in a strange way
@ 2009-02-26 10:05 stiff
From: stiff @ 2009-02-26 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I often like to record quite complicated macros, especially ones with
moving between two windows, one window can for example contain lines I
search for in the second window, where on each occurence I do some
modifications. This is one of the most useful applications of macros I
know, so I would expect other people doing it too. Recently, I found
out that one can edit the macros after defining them, but strangely it
doesn't seem to work correctly for me. If I do C-x C-k C-e, do a
simple modification to such a macro (ie. before I had an insertion of
'foobar' after the occurence and I change it to inserting 'barfoo'
after each occurance) and than save it with C-c C-c parts of the macro
disappear completly and in effect the macro most often simply doesn't
do anything. Does anyone have an idea why something like this may
happen, am I doing something wrong, or is it just a bug? I'm using
emacs 23 from CVS.

Cheers,
Jarek

* Re: Macro editing fails in a strange way
@ 2009-02-26 11:46 ` Jarosław Rzeszótko
From: Jarosław Rzeszótko @ 2009-02-26 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Take a look at this example, every time I enter it in the macro editor
and type C-c C-c I get a wicked result:

;; Keyboard Macro Editor.  Press C-c C-c to finish; press C-x k RET to
cancel.
;; Original keys: <end> <C-insert> <C-M-right> <C-home> <C-M-left>
<down> <home>

Command: last-kbd-macro
Key: none

Macro:

C-SPC			;; set-mark-command
<end>			;; move-end-of-line
<C-insert>		;; kill-ring-save
<C-M-right>		;; windmove-right
C-s  			;; isearch-forward-regexp
M-y	        		;; yank-pop
RET	     	        	;; newline
barfoo			;; self-insert-command * 6
<C-home>		;; beginning-of-buffer
<C-M-left>		;; windmove-left
<down>			;; next-line
<home>			;; back-to-indentation-or-beginning

And here is what it looks afterwards: