all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Auto completion auto-disabling itself
@ 2010-05-26 14:05 Andrea Crotti
       [not found] ` <mailman.10.1275345310.21296.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-05-26 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm a happy auto-complete user, but sometimes I notice that it gets
disabled by itself.

I tried to see if I'm doing something strange in the meanwhile, but
maybe I just switch to a different buffer, open an overlay or something
like that.

Reenabling auto-complete works fine, but it's strange, and I also don't
get any message in *Messages*..
What could that be?
Thasks

* Re: Auto completion auto-disabling itself
@ 2010-05-31 22:31 ` Andrea Crotti
       [not found] ` <mailman.10.1275345310.21296.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-05-31 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm a happy auto-complete user, but sometimes I notice that it gets
> disabled by itself.
>
> I tried to see if I'm doing something strange in the meanwhile, but
> maybe I just switch to a different buffer, open an overlay or something
> like that.
>
> Reenabling auto-complete works fine, but it's strange, and I also don't
> get any message in *Messages*..
> What could that be?
> Thasks

No ideas on what could that be?
I notice it very often in python mode unfortunately, I switch to another
buffer, then I come back and it's disabled.

I think it might also be some strange keystrokes, but I don't see which
one and more important there should not be any keystrokes that disables
AC automatically...

Maybe I can try to trace the disabling function, to see when and from
what it gets called..

@ 2010-06-01 16:10   ` jpkotta
From: jpkotta @ 2010-06-01 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 31, 5:31 pm, Andrea Crotti <andrea.crott...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andrea Crotti <andrea.crott...@gmail.com> writes:
> > I'm a happy auto-complete user, but sometimes I notice that it gets
> > disabled by itself.
>
> > I tried to see if I'm doing something strange in the meanwhile, but
> > maybe I just switch to a different buffer, open an overlay or something
> > like that.
>
> > Reenabling auto-complete works fine, but it's strange, and I also don't
> > get any message in *Messages*..
> > What could that be?
> > Thasks
>
> No ideas on what could that be?
> I notice it very often in python mode unfortunately, I switch to another
> buffer, then I come back and it's disabled.
>
> I think it might also be some strange keystrokes, but I don't see which
> one and more important there should not be any keystrokes that disables
> AC automatically...
>
> Maybe I can try to trace the disabling function, to see when and from
> what it gets called..

I've noticed it too, and I didn't even have to switch buffers.  I
think what was happening was an error occurred somewhere in the
completion code.  The error was caught, but the "handling" was to
disable the mode.  I never really got to the bottom of it.  I
installed the newest version (from git) and it's working better.