all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cycling through windows
@ 2013-07-12  4:42 C K Kashyap
From: C K Kashyap @ 2013-07-12  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi,
What is a good way to cycle through windows - looks like C-x o cycles
through in one order and if I need to change the direction I need to C-u -
C-x o
But it seems too many keystrokes - is there a better way (other than doing
my own key bindings that is)
Regards,
Kashyap

* Re: cycling through windows
@ 2013-07-12  5:55 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-07-12  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C K Kashyap; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

C K Kashyap <ckkashyap@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> What is a good way to cycle through windows - looks like C-x o cycles
> through in one order and if I need to change the direction I need to C-u -
> C-x o
> But it seems too many keystrokes - is there a better way (other than doing
> my own key bindings that is)

Other window

    C-x o

Keep Othering

    C-x z

Reverse window movement

   C-u - C-x o

Keep reversing

    C-x z

> Regards,
> Kashyap

* Re: cycling through windows
@ 2013-07-12  8:09 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-07-12  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

C K Kashyap <ckkashyap@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> What is a good way to cycle through windows - looks like C-x o cycles
> through in one order and if I need to change the direction I need to C-u -
> C-x o
> But it seems too many keystrokes - is there a better way (other than doing
> my own key bindings that is)
> Regards,
> Kashyap

I use libraries that make window switching easier, e.g.

,-------------------------
| (require 'switch-window)
`-------------------------

and

,-----------------------------------------------
| (when (require 'window-numbering nil 'NOERROR)
|   (window-numbering-mode 1))
`-----------------------------------------------

With them its just

,--------------
| C-x o <digit>
`--------------

or

,----------
| M-<digit>
`----------

to switch to a another (numbered) window.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: cycling through windows
       [not found] <mailman.891.1373604148.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-07-12  9:13 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-07-12  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

C K Kashyap <ckkashyap@gmail.com> writes:

> What is a good way to cycle through windows ...

If you would consider not base cursor movement on windows, but on
files/buffers, I wrote this a while back in this group. I found it
somewhere on the Internet and it really made my life easier, once
I set it up.

- old but still great material below -

(global-set-key (kbd "C-j") 'jump-to-register)

(set-register ?a (cons 'file "/sudo::/etc/apt/sources.list"))
(set-register ?c (cons 'file "~/.irssi/config"))
(set-register ?C (cons 'file "/sudo::/etc/default/console-setup"))
(set-register ?e (cons 'file "~/.emacs"))
;; etc.

Note: 1) How to use it for superuser, *and* ordinary files, 2)
that it is case sensitive ('c' and 'C'), and 3) the mnemonic use
of letters (I use zsh, otherwise there would have been a 'b' for
.bashrc - you get it).

Before I started with this system, I lost a lot of time typing
file paths, iterating the buffer list, etc. Now I just (for
example) [C-j e] to bring up .emacs - and if there is such a
buffer already, I get to the correct place (where I had point on
my last visit).

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* RE: cycling through windows
@ 2013-07-12 15:51   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-07-12 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

> (global-set-key (kbd "C-j") 'jump-to-register)
>
> (set-register ?a (cons 'file "/sudo::/etc/apt/sources.list"))
> (set-register ?c (cons 'file "~/.irssi/config"))
> (set-register ?C (cons 'file "/sudo::/etc/default/console-setup"))
> (set-register ?e (cons 'file "~/.emacs"))
>
> Before I started with this system, I lost a lot of time typing
> file paths, iterating the buffer list, etc. Now I just (for
> example) [C-j e] to bring up .emacs - and if there is such a
> buffer already, I get to the correct place (where I had point on
> my last visit).

If you want such persistence then instead of loading code to
recreate the registers each time, just use bookmarks.
That's what they're for.

And bookmarks have hooks, so you can add behavior.
And you can define your own bookmark types, to give you any
behavior you want.

* Re: cycling through windows
@ 2013-07-12 16:17 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2013-07-12 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C. K. Kashyap; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

C. K. Kashyap [2013-07-12 10:12:02 +05:30] wrote:

> What is a good way to cycle through windows - looks like C-x o cycles
> through in one order and if I need to change the direction I need to
> C-u - C-x o But it seems too many keystrokes - is there a better way
> (other than doing my own key bindings that is)

I use "repeat command" idea which I got from Drew Adams. With that I can
cycle with "C-x o o o o o o". That is, just repeating the last component
("o").

    (defun tl-repeat-command (command)
      ;; From Drew Adams.
      (require 'repeat)
      (let ((repeat-message-function 'ignore))
        (setq last-repeatable-command command)
        (repeat nil)))

    (defun tl-other-window (count)
      (interactive "p")
      (tl-repeat-command 'other-window))

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: cycling through windows
@ 2013-07-14  6:35   ` C K Kashyap
From: C K Kashyap @ 2013-07-14  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Thank you all so much.

I think the "keep-othering" suggested by Jambunathan works just fine for me.

Regards,
Kashyap