all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Spell check: adding words to a file-specific dictionary
@ 2008-05-14 19:07 Yevgeniy Makarov
       [not found] ` <mailman.11599.1210804459.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Yevgeniy Makarov @ 2008-05-14 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

Suppose I am doing a spell check, and I came across a word that I want
to add to my dictionary. However, this word is specific to the file I
am editing or the project I am working on; it is unlikely to occur in
other documents. Therefore, I don't want to add it to my local
dictionary in the home directory. I can press "a" and have the word
remembered for one Emacs session, but what if I check this document
several times on different days?

Is there a way to remember this word for this document only, e.g., via
file variables or a dictionary in a certain project directory? Maybe I
can use something like --extra-dicts option of aspell, but is there a
way to put words into that dictionary during the spellchecking session
(similar to how the "i" key puts a word in the local dictionary)?

Thank you,
Evgeny

* Re: Spell check: adding words to a file-specific dictionary
@ 2008-05-14 22:34 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.11599.1210804459.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-05-14 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Yevgeniy Makarov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.05.2008 um 21:07 schrieb Yevgeniy Makarov:

> Is there a way to remember this word for this document only, e.g., via
> file variables or a dictionary in a certain project directory?

Could you check the use of ispell-personal-dictionary? This
variable's value might possibly be set in the file(s) ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

@ 2008-05-15  1:31   ` Yevgeniy Makarov
From: Yevgeniy Makarov @ 2008-05-15  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Could you check the use of ispell-personal-dictionary? This
> variable's value might possibly be set in the file(s) ...

Good idea. Yes, ispell-personal-dictionary can be set in a file
variable. In fact, I found another option: add the line "LocalWords:
the list of words to ignore" (in a comment). This is not described in
the Emacs manual. The drawback for setting ispell-personal-dictionary
is that during spellchecking I can only add words to that file. For
LocalWords, I guess words have to be added manually. It would be nice
to be able to make a choice whether to add a word to the file-local
dictionary or the "real" personal dictionary, but I guess Emacs has to
be changed for that.

Evgeny