all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: creating 6 balanced windows in a single command
       [not found] <7d10f32f-b641-4f0e-a449-232583502c65@r27g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>
@ 2010-07-20 15:29 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2010-07-20 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Terrence Brannon <metaperl@gmail.com> writes:

> I thought that Emacs 23 had a single command that would create 6
> balanced windows like this:
> http://www.screencast.com/users/terrence_work/folders/Jing/media/75780bea-21e2-4e21-9bbe-1ff9eb128eca
>
> If not, I suppose I could always write the simple elisp to do it in a
> command myself.

And I though emacs had a single command that would create 6 source
files containing the program I need to write like this.

@ 2010-07-21  0:39 ` TheFlyingDutchman
       [not found]   ` <eabe9dee-bb76-4fe9-8881-cb317612c6bd@y12g2000prb.googlegroups.com>
From: TheFlyingDutchman @ 2010-07-21  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 20, 6:26 am, Terrence Brannon <metap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought that Emacs 23 had a single command that would create 6
> balanced windows like this:http://www.screencast.com/users/terrence_work/folders/Jing/media/7578...
>
> If not, I suppose I could always write the simple elisp to do it in a
> command myself.

I don't know if a function already exists, but this seems to work:

; close any other open windows and then
; divide the current active window into six similar sized windows
(defun MakeSixWindows ()
  (interactive)
  (delete-other-windows)
  (split-window-vertically)
  (next-window)
  (setq windowColumns
    (let ((edges (window-edges))) (- (nth 2 edges) (nth 0 edges))) )
  (split-window-horizontally (round (* windowColumns 0.66)))
  (split-window-horizontally)
  (previous-multiframe-window)
  (split-window-horizontally (round (* windowColumns 0.66)))
  (next-window)
  (split-window-horizontally)
)

; run MakeSixWindows function by pressing the F8 key
(global-set-key (kbd "<f8>") 'MakeSixWindows)

@ 2010-08-09 13:55     ` Terrence Brannon
From: Terrence Brannon @ 2010-08-09 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Actually this function works better when you have two monitors:

(defun MakeSixWindows ()
  (interactive)
  (delete-other-windows)
  (split-window-vertically)