all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs + Windows + utf-8
@ 2009-08-07 18:58 Ale
       [not found] ` <mailman.4143.1249675462.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ale @ 2009-08-07 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: laynor

Hi, I use emacs both in linux and windows (native build).
I'm using a not so old emacs23 snapshot on windows (going to update
soon), and emacs 23.1 on linux.
Editing files that contain utf-8 characters like
(s¹i, s²j) ∈ S ⇒ (s¹h, s²k) ∈ S ∀ s¹h ∈ ε*(s¹i), s²k ∈ ε*(s²j)
is ok on linux (both terminal and graphical), however, Emacs feels dog-
slow  on Windows. For example, when the cursor is sitting on the line
containing those chars, if I press and hold 'a', I will see a change
in the buffer when 20 characters have already been inserted.
My setup is almost the same in windows and linux - actually the lisp
stuff I load on windows is a proper subset of the stuff I load on
linux.
Any clue why it feels so sluggish?
__
Alessandro

* Re: Emacs + Windows + utf-8
@ 2009-08-07 20:04 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.4143.1249675462.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-08-07 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Ale <laynor@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 11:58:35 -0700 (PDT)
> Cc: laynor@gmail.com
>
> Editing files that contain utf-8 characters like
> (s¹i, s²j) ∈ S ⇒ (s¹h, s²k) ∈ S ∀ s¹h ∈ ε*(s¹i), s²k ∈ ε*(s²j)
> is ok on linux (both terminal and graphical), however, Emacs feels dog-
> slow  on Windows. For example, when the cursor is sitting on the line
> containing those chars, if I press and hold 'a', I will see a change
> in the buffer when 20 characters have already been inserted.

I cannot reproduce this on Windows with Emacs 23.1: pressing and
holding 'a' on the above line causes response as quick as on any other
line.

Does the problem happen for you in "emacs -Q"?

* Re: Emacs + Windows + utf-8
       [not found] ` <mailman.4143.1249675462.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-08  0:39   ` Ale
From: Ale @ 2009-08-08  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 7 Ago, 21:04, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: Ale <lay...@gmail.com>
> > Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 11:58:35 -0700 (PDT)
> > Cc: lay...@gmail.com
>
> > Editing files that contain utf-8 characters like
> > (s¹i, s²j) ∈ S ⇒ (s¹h, s²k) ∈ S ∀ s¹h ∈ ε*(s¹i), s²k ∈ ε*(s²j)
> > is ok on linux (both terminal and graphical), however, Emacs feels dog-
> > slow  on Windows. For example, when the cursor is sitting on the line
> > containing those chars, if I press and hold 'a', I will see a change
> > in the buffer when 20 characters have already been inserted.
>
> I cannot reproduce this on Windows with Emacs 23.1: pressing and
> holding 'a' on the above line causes response as quick as on any other
> line.
>
> Does the problem happen for you in "emacs -Q"?

My emacs version on windows is 23.0.94.1. With a buffer of only few
lines, it feels responsive for me too, but if I paste 30 of those
lines, emacs becomes sluggish.
I'll upgrade to 23.1 however, to see if it changes.
And yes, it's the same running it with -Q, only a little more
responsive, as viper kind of slows emacs down (or that's what I "feel"
at least).
--
alessandro

* Re: Emacs + Windows + utf-8
@ 2009-08-08  1:04     ` Ale
From: Ale @ 2009-08-08  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Eli,
I downloaded the lastest version and emacs turned from dog slow to
snapping fast :) It actually feels faster than the linux version, I'm
amazed :)
Cheers,
Alessandro