all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>
To: "João Távora" <joaotavora@gmail.com>
Cc: 67691@debbugs.gnu.org, bcclaro <bcclaro@gmail.com>
Subject: bug#67691: 29.1.50; Virtual buffers in fido-mode
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 16:07:40 +0200	[thread overview]

On 08/12/2023 15:22, João Távora wrote:

>>> Maybe this feature (and also the preceding one, I guess) could be
>>> argued for in terms of changes to Emacs's completion frontend
>>> so that it is available to fido, icomplete, vanilla completion,
>>> and maybe more.  But I don't understand exactly what the
>>> feature does (though here it seems simpler than in the previous
>>> one).
>>
>> It's the same feature.
>>
>> I think ido-use-virtual-buffers's docstring has a good explanation.
>>
>> So, two parts:
>>
>> - Using entries from recentf in the list of buffers to switch to.
>> - Color them differently somehow.
>
> So including files in a buffer list?  Seems odd, but then ido
> had a lot of oddities.

Quite.

> Anyway, I think what I miss most about Ido also solves the
> problem of going to recently visited files.  In Ido, I could
> ido-find-file, type a fragment of a file name and then M-p to
> cycle between those old files that match that pattern

This sounds useful, but it's not something that I do, personally. It
takes more keypresses and doesn't match the way I think about files and
projects anyway.

The "virtual buffers" thing sells itself with fast access: you recall
the name of a previously open file, and just visit it as if the buffer
already existed. If the base file name is unique enough, that's the
quickest way to do that. Otherwise, you have to double-check the
directory it's in.