all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Adding customization types
@ 2017-09-15 21:07 Etienne Prud’homme
From: Etienne Prud’homme @ 2017-09-15 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I was wondering if we could add several other customization types in
`wid-edit.el`.

One of the widget (or type), I would like to get is major-mode and
probably minor-mode too.  Is there any reason why it was never included?

Given we could know if a symbol is a major-mode, would it be okay if I
made a patch for that (to be included in `wid-edit.el`)?

---
Etienne

* Re: Adding customization types
@ 2017-09-19 23:49 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2017-09-19 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Etienne Prud’homme; +Cc: emacs-devel

PE> One of the widget (or type), I would like to get is major-mode and
PE> probably minor-mode too. Is there any reason why it was never included?

EP> Given we could know if a symbol is a major-mode, would it be okay if I
PE> made a patch for that (to be included in `wid-edit.el`)?

This sounds useful to me.

I also briefly looked for a general way to say "symbols matching a predicate",
for one-off types similar to the above request. Is that possible?

* RE: Adding customization types
@ 2017-09-20  0:01   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2017-09-20  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley, Etienne Prud’homme; +Cc: emacs-devel

> PE> One of the widget (or type), I would like to get is major-mode and
> PE> probably minor-mode too. Is there any reason why it was never included?
>
> EP> Given we could know if a symbol is a major-mode, would it be okay if I
> PE> made a patch for that (to be included in `wid-edit.el`)?
>
> This sounds useful to me.
>
> I also briefly looked for a general way to say "symbols matching a
> predicate", for one-off types similar to the above request. Is that possible?

1. Do you mean for completion when entering a symbol value for a
field?  If so, I don't think that has been implemented.

(In fact, it seem that if you try using `M-TAB' in such a
field you get the inappropriate error message "Not in an
editable field", instead of a more appropriate message
telling you that completion is not available in that field.
That seems like a bug in `widget-complete'.)

2. Do you instead mean a way to restrict a field value to be
a symbol that matches a given predicate?  If so, yes, you
can do that using custom type `restricted-sexp'.