all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* YASnippet -- Yet another snippet extension (after smart-snippet) for Emacs
@ 2008-03-11 14:58 pluskid
From: pluskid @ 2008-03-11 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The project is at http://code.google.com/p/yasnippet/

This is a re-design and re-writing of my original extension smart-
snippet. The goal is ease of use and full features.

= Getting Started
== For the busy or impatient people

Watch the screencast at YouTube. Or download the higher resolution
one.
 * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOj7btx3ATg
 * http://yasnippet.googlecode.com/files/yasnippet.avi

== For lazy people or beginner

   1. Download yasnippet-bundle-x.y.z.el.tgz on the right sidebar and
unpack it.
   2. Save it to
          * One of the directories in your load-path.
          * Some arbitrary directory, e.g ~/.emacs.d/plugins and add
this directory to your load-path, that is, add this to your ~/.emacs
file.

            (add-to-list 'load-path
                         "~/.emacs.d/plugins")

   3. Require it in your ~/.emacs file:

      (require 'yasnippet-bundle)

== For You

   1. Download the latest yasnippet-x.y.z.tar.bz2 on the right
sidebar.
   2. Unpack it.
   3. Add that directory to your load-path.
   4. Require and initialize yasnippet in your ~/.emacs file:

      (require 'yasnippet) ;; not yasnippet-bundle
      (yas/initialize)
      (yas/load-directory "/path/to/the/snippets/directory/")

   5. Optionally you can customize the snippets inside the snippets
directory.
   6. There's also a python script in tools directory to let you
compile your customized snippets into a single stand-alone yasnippet-
bundle file.

== For geeks

If you want to always follow the latest code. You can check out it
from the svn repository:

svn checkout http://yasnippet.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ yasnippet

* Re: YASnippet -- Yet another snippet extension (after smart-snippet) for Emacs
@ 2008-03-11 16:55 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-03-11 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pluskid; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

pluskid wrote:
> The project is at http://code.google.com/p/yasnippet/
>
> This is a re-design and re-writing of my original extension smart-
> snippet. The goal is ease of use and full features.
>
> = Getting Started
> == For the busy or impatient people
>
> Watch the screencast at YouTube. Or download the higher resolution
> one.
>  * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOj7btx3ATg
>  * http://yasnippet.googlecode.com/files/yasnippet.avi

So far I have only seen the video, but that was quite impressing. How
did you do the video?

* Re: YASnippet -- Yet another snippet extension (after smart-snippet) for Emacs
@ 2008-03-11 17:08   ` Chiyuan Zhang
       [not found]     ` <b6f0e9dd0803111008x6b242c8aie5aa527ddb5c3fc6@mail.gmail.co m>
From: Chiyuan Zhang @ 2008-03-11 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2008/3/12, Lennart Borgman (gmail) <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>:

>  So far I have only seen the video, but that was quite impressing. How
>  did you do the video?

It was made with Camtasia Studio 4. :)

* Re: YASnippet -- Yet another snippet extension (after smart-snippet) for Emacs
@ 2008-03-19  1:00 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-03-19  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pluskid; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   The project is at http://code.google.com/p/yasnippet/

   This is a re-design and re-writing of my original extension smart-
   snippet. The goal is ease of use and full features.

I watched your video and I am impressed.

Then I decided to look at "competitors" and found them on
emacswiki[1]. There are plenty of alternatives and the choice is
not easy.

So, could you explain in what yasnippet differ from msfabbrev ?
Are you aware of anything like a comparative chart of all the
available modes ?

Why did you feel the need to rewrite smart-snippet ? How does it
work internally ? Why did you need to write your own templating
system (serious question since I find it is pretty closed to what
Msf Abbrev does).

Anyway, congratulations, it is really impressing.

[1] http://emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryTemplates

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: YASnippet -- Yet another snippet extension (after smart-snippet) for Emacs
@ 2008-03-19 12:21   ` Chiyuan Zhang
From: Chiyuan Zhang @ 2008-03-19 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Yes, there're some difference from msf-abbrev. For example,
msf-abbrev doesn't support mirror fields and transformations.
It also doesn't support multiple snippet with same name.

I'll make a table to compare with those competitors when I
have time. It's really a good idea. I'm quite confident of
yasnippet. :P

@ 2008-03-20 10:38     ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-03-20 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chiyuan Zhang; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Chiyuan Zhang" <pluskid@gmail.com> wrote:

> It also doesn't support multiple snippet with same name.

Why would one want to have multiple snippets with the same name?

(I'm not dismissing the idea, I really want to know. :) )

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: YASnippet -- Yet another snippet extension (after smart-snippet) for Emacs
@ 2008-03-20 16:03       ` Chiyuan Zhang
From: Chiyuan Zhang @ 2008-03-20 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolaj Schumacher; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2008/3/20, Nikolaj Schumacher <n_schumacher@web.de>:

>  "Chiyuan Zhang" <pluskid@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > It also doesn't support multiple snippet with same name.
>

> Why would one want to have multiple snippets with the same name?
I think yes. :) Here are two example from the snippets come with
yasnippet:

inc for both #include "..." and #include <...>
doctype for HTML, XHTML, XML, etc.

BTW: I just released YASnippet 0.4.0 -- a condition system is added,
now YASnippet is more smarter than smart-snippet. :p

@ 2008-03-20 23:29       ` Johan Lindström
From: Johan Lindström @ 2008-03-20 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At 17:08 2008-03-11, Chiyuan Zhang wrote:
>2008/3/12, Lennart Borgman (gmail) <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>:
> >
> >  So far I have only seen the video, but that was quite impressing. How
> >  did you do the video?
> >
>It was made with Camtasia Studio 4. :)

Looking at the video, it looks like there is some magic going on when
you start typing in a field which has a default value.

When you start typing, the default value is replaced with what you
type. But that's not what happens when I start typing. Instead, my
typed text is inserted with the default value being pushed to the right.

Do you perform some invisible keyboard maneouver in the screencast or
did the behaviour change somehow?

/J