all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* more config .emacs files
@ 2008-02-28  7:45 srb
From: srb @ 2008-02-28  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hi all

in my emacs i am using desktop-save-mode, so every time a start my emacs
i have all my buffers opened.  But  very often i am using also "emacs
-nw" from terminal just to quickly edit some config when doing some
other work. But i do not want to use these desktop-save-mode. So i try
to use some other options not to use default config .emacs. There is a
option to use other users .emacs which is working ok(but you have to
create this user, or have an access to his config), but i believe there
should be other way how to tell emacs which config to use.

does anyone was solving this by other way?
thank you

pavel

* Re: more config .emacs files
@ 2008-02-28 10:17 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-02-28 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: srb@heckler-koch.cz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.02.2008 um 08:45 schrieb srb:

> does anyone was solving this by other way?

Check for window-system. It it's nil then you're working without
windows in terminal ...

Are you building weapons with GNU Emacs' help?

--
Greetings

   Pete

America believes in education: the average professor earns more money
in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week.
				– Evan Esar

* Re: more config .emacs files
@ 2008-02-28 12:28 ` Dmitri Minaev
From: Dmitri Minaev @ 2008-02-28 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: srb@heckler-koch.cz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:45 AM, srb@heckler-koch.cz
<srb@heckler-koch.cz> wrote:
> hi all
>
>  in my emacs i am using desktop-save-mode, so every time a start my emacs
>  i have all my buffers opened.  But  very often i am using also "emacs
>  -nw" from terminal just to quickly edit some config when doing some
>  other work. But i do not want to use these desktop-save-mode.

That's what the multi-tty was written for, imho :). Instead of running
emacs -nw, run emacsclient -t and it will open a tty frame of the
already running emacs. It will be even faster than running a bare
"emacs --no-init-file" (which should be enough to "quickly edit some
config ", by the way).

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev

Russian history blog: http://minaev.blogspot.com

* Re: more config .emacs files
@ 2008-02-28 13:48   ` srb
From: srb @ 2008-02-28 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

thank you very much for replay

emacsclient is very nice, unless you do not want to open file in your
already running emacs.
--no-init-file is also good choice, but you will loose your modes
settings for python, haskell or other files.

so i believe the good way to solve this, is using some other config.
When working on my personal machine, i use config of root user. But when
working on machine only as client, i do not have this chance. And using
.emacs config of root is also not very nich trick!

pavel

Dmitri Minaev wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:45 AM, srb@heckler-koch.cz
> <srb@heckler-koch.cz> wrote:
>
>> hi all
>>
>>  in my emacs i am using desktop-save-mode, so every time a start my emacs
>>  i have all my buffers opened.  But  very often i am using also "emacs
>>  -nw" from terminal just to quickly edit some config when doing some
>>  other work. But i do not want to use these desktop-save-mode.
>>

> That's what the multi-tty was written for, imho :). Instead of running
> emacs -nw, run emacsclient -t and it will open a tty frame of the
> already running emacs. It will be even faster than running a bare
> "emacs --no-init-file" (which should be enough to "quickly edit some
> config ", by the way).

* Re: more config .emacs files
@ 2008-02-28 14:09     ` Dmitri Minaev
From: Dmitri Minaev @ 2008-02-28 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: srb@heckler-koch.cz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 5:48 PM, srb@heckler-koch.cz
<srb@heckler-koch.cz> wrote:
>  emacsclient is very nice, unless you do not want to open file in your
>  already running emacs.

Beg your pardon for obstinacy, but why not?

--

@ 2008-02-28 14:22       ` Pavel SRB
From: Pavel SRB @ 2008-02-28 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dmitri Minaev wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 5:48 PM, srb@heckler-koch.cz
> <srb@heckler-koch.cz> wrote:
>
>>  emacsclient is very nice, unless you do not want to open file in your
>>  already running emacs.
>>

> Beg your pardon for obstinacy, but why not?

haha, no problem

as normaly i am whole day working with some source codes in my gui
emacs. But few times a day i am configuring some things on linux from
command line, and i need to edit some files. As i am bored with mcedit,
i would like to use emacs in terminal mode. But do not want to switch to
my gui emacs.

just want to edit some code, use crtl+z to check from command line if it
is ok, if not go back with fg and work more.

i know i can do all of this from emacs, to have half of emacs with code
and second half of shell. But it would be nice to have option to open
emacs with other than default config.

pavel srb

* Re: more config .emacs files
@ 2008-02-28 14:33       ` srb
From: srb @ 2008-02-28 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

       [not found] <mailman.8025.1204191123.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-02-28 16:45 ` muede73
From: muede73 @ 2008-02-28 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

srb@heckler-koch.cz wrote:
> hi all
>
> in my emacs i am using desktop-save-mode, so every time a start my emacs
> i have all my buffers opened.  But  very often i am using also "emacs
> -nw" from terminal just to quickly edit some config when doing some
> other work. But i do not want to use these desktop-save-mode. So i try
> to use some other options not to use default config .emacs. There is a
> option to use other users .emacs which is working ok(but you have to
> create this user, or have an access to his config), but i believe there
> should be other way how to tell emacs which config to use.
>
> does anyone was solving this by other way?
> thank you
>
> pavel

What about making an alias, checking (car (commandline-args))
in .emacs and than load .emacs-foo or .emacs-bar.

-ap

* Re: more config .emacs files
@ 2008-02-28 19:24         ` Dmitri Minaev
From: Dmitri Minaev @ 2008-02-28 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: srb@heckler-koch.cz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 6:33 PM, srb@heckler-koch.cz
<srb@heckler-koch.cz> wrote:
>  as normaly i am whole day working with some source codes in my gui
>  emacs. But few times a day i am configuring some things on linux from
>  command line, and i need to edit some files. As i am bored with mcedit,
>  i would like to use emacs in terminal mode. But do not want to switch to
>  my gui emacs.

I thought so. That's why I spoke of multi-tty emacs and the -t option
for emacsclient. In multi-tty emacs you can launch the gui version of
emacs and then, using 'emacsclient -t', open _tty_ frames. Or vice
versa. Read here: http://lorentey.hu/project/emacs.html.hu

Of course, you'll need to compile Emacs from CVS.

--

@ 2008-02-28 21:32         ` Dmitri Minaev
From: Dmitri Minaev @ 2008-02-28 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: srb@heckler-koch.cz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

<srb@heckler-koch.cz> wrote:
>  i know i can do all of this from emacs, to have half of emacs with code
>  and second half of shell. But it would be nice to have option to open
>  emacs with other than default config.

BTW, if disabling desktop is all you need, you can use the option
'--no-desktop' (since version 22). Or, say, use '--eval' to set a
variable which you will check in .emacs before reading the desktop
file.