all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to capture output too long to fit
@ 2007-08-15 19:21 Tamas Papp
From: Tamas Papp @ 2007-08-15 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I do M-: (frame-parameters) RET, the value appears in the
minibuffer, but it is too long to fit there and ends with ...  How
could I see the whole thing?

Thanks,

Tamas

* Re: how to capture output too long to fit
@ 2007-08-15 19:28 ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-08-15 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 15 ago, 16:21, Tamas Papp <tkp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I do M-: (frame-parameters) RET, the value appears in the
> minibuffer, but it is too long to fit there and ends with ...  How
> could I see the whole thing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tamas

What i do is type (frame-parameters) on the scratch buffer, then call
eval-print-last-sexp. Is it an acceptable solution for you ?

Cheers,
weber

* Re: how to capture output too long to fit
@ 2007-08-16  1:16   ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2007-08-16  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <1187206090.552725.264470@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>,
 weber <hugows@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 ago, 16:21, Tamas Papp <tkp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > When I do M-: (frame-parameters) RET, the value appears in the
> > minibuffer, but it is too long to fit there and ends with ...  How
> > could I see the whole thing?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tamas
>
> What i do is type (frame-parameters) on the scratch buffer, then call
> eval-print-last-sexp. Is it an acceptable solution for you ?

You can also look in the *Messages* buffer, which contains a record of
all the messages displayed in the echo area.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: how to capture output too long to fit
@ 2007-08-16  6:55 ` Dmitri Minaev
From: Dmitri Minaev @ 2007-08-16  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tamas Papp; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 8/16/07, Tamas Papp <tkpapp@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I do M-: (frame-parameters) RET, the value appears in the
> minibuffer, but it is too long to fit there and ends with ...  How
> could I see the whole thing?

C-u M-: will send the output to the current buffer.

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev

Russian history blog: http://minaev.blogspot.com

* Re: how to capture output too long to fit
@ 2007-08-16  9:33 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-08-16  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tkpapp; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > When I do M-: (frame-parameters) RET, the value appears in the
 > minibuffer, but it is too long to fit there and ends with ...  How
 > could I see the whole thing?

Try M-: (pp (frame-parameters))

* Re: how to capture output too long to fit
       [not found] <mailman.4853.1187256810.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-08-16  9:57 ` Tamas Papp
From: Tamas Papp @ 2007-08-16  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> writes:

>> When I do M-: (frame-parameters) RET, the value appears in the
>> minibuffer, but it is too long to fit there and ends with ...  How
>> could I see the whole thing?
>
> Try M-: (pp (frame-parameters))

Thanks Martin,

This is the only one that works, all the other approaches have ... at
the end.

Another question: the output in the minibuffer disappears when I click
on it and try to scroll.  How can I prevent that?  Is it possible to
evaluate into a new, permanent buffer?

@ 2007-08-16 13:25   ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-08-16 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 16 ago, 06:57, Tamas Papp <tkp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> martin rudalics <rudal...@gmx.at> writes:
> >> When I do M-: (frame-parameters) RET, the value appears in the
> >> minibuffer, but it is too long to fit there and ends with ...  How
> >> could I see the whole thing?
>
> > Try M-: (pp (frame-parameters))
>
> Thanks Martin,
>
> This is the only one that works, all the other approaches have ... at
> the end.
>
> Another question: the output in the minibuffer disappears when I click
> on it and try to scroll.  How can I prevent that?  Is it possible to
> evaluate into a new, permanent buffer?
>
> Tamas

1. Go to a new buffer
2. Write in it: (frame-parameters)
3. Position cursor after the last parenthesis
4. Type M-x eval-print-last-sexp

I guess that should work...
-weber

* Re: how to capture output too long to fit
@ 2007-08-16 13:27     ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-08-16 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 16 ago, 10:25, weber <hug...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Try M-: (pp (frame-parameters))
>
> > Thanks Martin,
>
> > This is the only one that works, all the other approaches have ... at
> > the end.
>
> > Another question: the output in the minibuffer disappears when I click
> > on it and try to scroll.  How can I prevent that?  Is it possible to
> > evaluate into a new, permanent buffer?
>
> > Tamas
>
> 1. Go to a new buffer
> 2. Write in it: (frame-parameters)
> 3. Position cursor after the last parenthesis
> 4. Type M-x eval-print-last-sexp
>
> I guess that should work...
> -weber

Ok, sry, now i could reproduce your problem.
After the above steps, go to the first parenthesis of the output and
type enter. Then the '...' expands to the full description.

Btw, the "problem" seems to be related to this:

RET (translated from <return>) runs the command last-sexp-toggle-
display
  which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `c:/Arquivos de
programas/emacs/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp-mode.elc'.
It is bound to <mouse-2>, RET.
(last-sexp-toggle-display &optional ARG)

Toggle between abbreviated and unabbreviated printed representations.

HTH,
weber

* Re: how to capture output too long to fit
@ 2007-08-16 13:31 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-08-16 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tkpapp; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > Another question: the output in the minibuffer disappears when I click
 > on it and try to scroll.  How can I prevent that?  Is it possible to
 > evaluate into a new, permanent buffer?

M-: (pp (frame-parameters) (get-buffer-create "*foo*"))

* RE: how to capture output too long to fit
@ 2007-08-16 14:51   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-08-16 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tamas Papp, help-gnu-emacs

> >> When I do M-: (frame-parameters) RET, the value appears in the
> >> minibuffer, but it is too long to fit there and ends with ...  How
> >> could I see the whole thing?
> >
> > Try M-: (pp (frame-parameters))
>
> Thanks Martin,
>
> This is the only one that works, all the other approaches have ... at
> the end.
>
> Another question: the output in the minibuffer disappears when I click
> on it and try to scroll.  How can I prevent that?  Is it possible to
> evaluate into a new, permanent buffer?

If you use Icicles, plain `M-: (frame-parameters)' does what you want.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles