all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GURU NEEDED : break a command into several lines and comment each line
@ 2011-01-13 21:18 bolega
From: bolega @ 2011-01-13 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: gnuist006

Basically, I have spent a few hours experimenting and searching on the
comp.unix.shell

how to break a command with several switches into more than one line
AND to be able to put some comment on each line.

#!/bin/bash -xv

command       \ # comment1
         -sw1 \ # comment2
         -sw2 \ # comment3
         arguments

One ought to be able to comment every single switch if desired for
whatever reason.

Bolega

* Re: GURU NEEDED : break a command into several lines and comment each line
       [not found] <bfd24856-94a9-4b46-b0b7-8c142f5b87f5@z5g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>
@ 2011-01-13 21:45 ` Berthold Höllmann
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Berthold Höllmann @ 2011-01-13 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

bolega <gnuist006@gmail.com> writes:

> Basically, I have spent a few hours experimenting and searching on the
> comp.unix.shell
>
> how to break a command with several switches into more than one line
> AND to be able to put some comment on each line.
>
> #!/bin/bash -xv
>
> command       \ # comment1
>          -sw1 \ # comment2
>          -sw2 \ # comment3
>          arguments

How about

-----------
#!/bin/bash -xv

COMMAND=command       # comment1
COMMAND=$COMMAND -sw1 \ # comment2
COMMAND=$COMMAND -sw2 \ # comment3
COMMAND=$COMMAND arguments

$COMMAND
---------
?

Regards
Berthold

--
A: Weil es die Lesbarkeit des Textes verschlechtert.
F: Warum ist TOFU so schlimm?

* Re: GURU NEEDED : break a command into several lines and comment each line
       [not found] <bfd24856-94a9-4b46-b0b7-8c142f5b87f5@z5g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>
@ 2011-01-13 22:08 ` David W. Hodgins
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: David W. Hodgins @ 2011-01-13 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 16:18:31 -0500, bolega <gnuist006@gmail.com> wrote:

> how to break a command with several switches into more than one line
> AND to be able to put some comment on each line.
> command       \ # comment1
>          -sw1 \ # comment2

Not what you want to hear, but that will not work.  With the above,
the backslash is being used to escape the following space, rather
then a newline, as is required to continue the line.  Even if it
were to work that way, would the next line be considered a continuation
of the command, or of the comment?

Your stuck with

command       \
          -sw1
# comment1
# comment2

Regards, Dave Hodgins

* Re: GURU NEEDED : break a command into several lines and comment each line
       [not found] <bfd24856-94a9-4b46-b0b7-8c142f5b87f5@z5g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>
@ 2011-01-13 22:46 ` suvayu ali
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-01-13 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bolega; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 1:18 PM, bolega <gnuist006@gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically, I have spent a few hours experimenting and searching on the
> comp.unix.shell
>
> how to break a command with several switches into more than one line
> AND to be able to put some comment on each line.
>
> #!/bin/bash -xv
>
> command       \ # comment1
>         -sw1 \ # comment2
>         -sw2 \ # comment3
>         arguments
>
> One ought to be able to comment every single switch if desired for
> whatever reason.

I don't think you can, but why post a shell question on the GNU emacs
users list?

--
Suvayu

* Re: GURU NEEDED : break a command into several lines and comment each line
       [not found] <bfd24856-94a9-4b46-b0b7-8c142f5b87f5@z5g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-01-13 22:47 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
       [not found] ` <jwvaaj4b2sb.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2011-01-13 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

bolega <gnuist006@gmail.com> writes:

> Basically, I have spent a few hours experimenting and searching on the
> comp.unix.shell
>
> how to break a command with several switches into more than one line
> AND to be able to put some comment on each line.
>
> #!/bin/bash -xv
>
> command       \ # comment1
>          -sw1 \ # comment2
>          -sw2 \ # comment3
>          arguments
>
> One ought to be able to comment every single switch if desired for
> whatever reason.

Rewrite your script in clisp:

#!/usr/bin/clisp

(ext:shell (format nil "~{~A ~}"
              "command" ; comment1
              "-sw1"    ; comment2
              "-sw2"    ; comment3
              arguments))

* Re: GURU NEEDED : break a command into several lines and comment each line
       [not found] <bfd24856-94a9-4b46-b0b7-8c142f5b87f5@z5g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-01-14  3:12 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found] ` <jwvaaj4b2sb.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-01-14  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> #!/bin/bash -xv

> command       \ # comment1
>          -sw1 \ # comment2
>          -sw2 \ # comment3
>          arguments

> One ought to be able to comment every single switch if desired for
> whatever reason.

Thanks for the riddle.  Here's a solution:

  command        $(: # comment1
  )        -sw1  $(: # comment2
  )        -sw2  $(: # comment3
  )        arguments

-- Stefan

@ 2011-01-14  6:28   ` bolega
From: bolega @ 2011-01-14  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 13, 7:12 pm, Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > #!/bin/bash -xv
> > command       \ # comment1
> >          -sw1 \ # comment2
> >          -sw2 \ # comment3
> >          arguments
> > One ought to be able to comment every single switch if desired for
> > whatever reason.
>
> Thanks for the riddle.  Here's a solution:
>
>   command        $(: # comment1
>   )        -sw1  $(: # comment2
>   )        -sw2  $(: # comment3
>   )        arguments
>
> -- Stefan

thanks to all four of you who replied and solved this problem to a
large extent, building on each other's ideas.

I would have done it by the first method of concatenating or pipes
into a sed which replaced end by the next and # can be placed after
pipes. the string then fed into a bash.

Stefan, whats the purpose of the colon ? it works without colon also.
Is it subshell or some environment import ? like the colon which can
substitute the #!/bin/bash on the top ?

@ 2011-01-14  8:07 ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-01-14  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 13.01.2011 23:18, bolega wrote:
> Basically, I have spent a few hours experimenting and searching on the
> comp.unix.shell
>
> how to break a command with several switches into more than one line
> AND to be able to put some comment on each line.
>
> #!/bin/bash -xv
>
> command       \ # comment1
>           -sw1 \ # comment2
>           -sw2 \ # comment3
>           arguments
>
> One ought to be able to comment every single switch if desired for
> whatever reason.

This is offtopic for this list.

But seems POSIX shell do not support inline comments.

You can use such trick (: is NOP command, but `` invoke shell, so
consume CPU resource):

   $ printarg -x `: this opt allow x` \
   -y `: this opt allow y` \
   -z `: this opt allow z`
"printarg"
"-x"
"-y"
"-z"

I put comments before command like (example from Makefile):

# /O1  creates small code
# /Oi-  disable generate intrinsic functions (to save exe size)
# /Oy  omit frame pointer
# /Gm-  disable minimal rebuild
OPTIM_CFLAGS =  /O1 /Oi- /Oy /Gm-

* Re: GURU NEEDED : break a command into several lines and comment each line
@ 2011-01-14 17:41     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2011-01-14 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

bolega <gnuist006@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jan 13, 7:12 pm, Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> > #!/bin/bash -xv
>> > command       \ # comment1
>> >          -sw1 \ # comment2
>> >          -sw2 \ # comment3
>> >          arguments
>> > One ought to be able to comment every single switch if desired for
>> > whatever reason.
>>
>> Thanks for the riddle.  Here's a solution:
>>
>>   command        $(: # comment1
>>   )        -sw1  $(: # comment2
>>   )        -sw2  $(: # comment3
>>   )        arguments
>>
>> -- Stefan
>
> thanks to all four of you who replied and solved this problem to a
> large extent, building on each other's ideas.
>
> I would have done it by the first method of concatenating or pipes
> into a sed which replaced end by the next and # can be placed after
> pipes. the string then fed into a bash.
>
> Stefan, whats the purpose of the colon ? it works without colon also.
> Is it subshell or some environment import ? like the colon which can
> substitute the #!/bin/bash on the top ?

The colon is a built-in command equivalent to true.

The syntax specified for $( ... ) (in man bash) is:

       $(command)

so a command is expected.  The shortest command doing nothing is :.