all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* htmlize-view.el - please test on different OS:es
@ 2005-10-26 23:39 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-10-26 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

The file htmlize-view.el tries to make it possible to print easily from
Emacs on different operating systems where a full fledged web browser is
available.

Probably you can print easily from your web browser on most system. The
function htmlize-view-buffer sends a html file to your web browser that
looks like your current buffer in Emacs.
I would be glad if this was tested on different operating systems. I
have tested this on MS Windows.

You can find htmlize-view.el at http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/elisp/.
You will also need htmlize.el:
http://fly.srk.fer.hr/~hniksic/emacs/htmlize.el

* Re: htmlize-view.el - please test on different OS:es
@ 2005-10-27  8:26 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-10-27  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 27.10.2005 um 01:39 schrieb Lennart Borgman:

> I would be glad if this was tested on different operating systems.

On Mac OS X 10.3.9 it works extremly well: I can see € and many other
glyphs from ISO 8859-15 or ISO 8859-16 encoded texts. In Carbon Emacs
it's almost impossible to view a text correctly when it's not held in
some proprietary Mac encoding. htmlize-view.el and htmlize.el change
all the empty rectangles into visible glyphs. Colours and features like
bold or italic shape are preserved.

As a final test I opened in Carbon Emacs the file utf8.txt from the
Kermit distribution. It has coded the first 64K Unicode glyphs. Since I
have fonts for almost each code point I could see all these glyphs in
my browser. And it's very easy and free of problems (until now, but
this, of course, can change) to print them into a PDF file.

I think htmlize-view.el and htmlize.el have the potential to become the
default print method for Carbon Emacs. And it should be possible to
write a little (Objective) C programme to convert HTML to PDF without
an Internet browser, since Apple provides powerful APIs.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete                           <]
              o        __o         |__    o       HPV, the real
     ___o    /I       -\<,         |o \  -\),-%     high speed!