all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Docbook Mode?
@ 2003-03-04  5:19 Chris
From: Chris @ 2003-03-04  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

What is the best mode/tools to edit Docbook with Emacs? Is there anything
that is as sophisticated as AucTeX/RefTeX in terms of document navigation
and dealing with large documents (I love using RefTeX to navigate through
the TOC, etc)?

* Re: Docbook Mode?
@ 2003-03-04  7:00 ` Scott Bicknell
From: Scott Bicknell @ 2003-03-04  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris wrote:

> What is the best mode/tools to edit Docbook with Emacs? Is there
> anything that is as sophisticated as AucTeX/RefTeX in terms of
> document navigation and dealing with large documents (I love using
> RefTeX to navigate through the TOC, etc)?

Have you tried SGML-Mode?

From: Scott Bicknell -- sbicknel@hypersurf.com
If a camel is a horse designed by a committee, then a consensus
forecast is a camel's behind.
                -- Edgar R. Fiedler

* Re: Docbook Mode?
@ 2003-03-04  8:44   ` Chris
From: Chris @ 2003-03-04  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

on 03 Mar 2003, Scott Bicknell <sbicknel@hypersurf.com> spake thusly:

> Chris wrote:
>
>> What is the best mode/tools to edit Docbook with Emacs? Is there
>> anything that is as sophisticated as AucTeX/RefTeX in terms of
>> document navigation and dealing with large documents (I love using
>> RefTeX to navigate through the TOC, etc)?
>
> Have you tried SGML-Mode?

Yes... I was just hoping for something with more features for navigating
around large documents, viewing the document structure, etc. Either I am
missing these features or I've become spoiled by the great LaTeX support in
Emacs!

* Re: Docbook Mode?
@ 2003-03-04 11:14     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-04 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris <chrisl_ak@hotmail.com> writes:

> Yes... I was just hoping for something with more features for navigating
> around large documents, viewing the document structure, etc. Either I am
> missing these features or I've become spoiled by the great LaTeX support in
> Emacs!

I googled for "emacs docbook" and found stuff by Norman Walsh.  The
name is promising.

* Re: Docbook Mode?
@ 2003-03-04 14:51       ` Jeffery B. Rancier
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2732.1046789658.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jeffery B. Rancier @ 2003-03-04 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

>> Yes... I was just hoping for something with more features for navigating
>> around large documents, viewing the document structure, etc. Either I am
>> missing these features or I've become spoiled by the great LaTeX support in
>> Emacs!

Try http://xae.sunsite.dk or http://xslt-process.sourceforge.net/
Jeff

* Re: Docbook Mode?
@ 2003-03-04 18:09       ` Chris
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2732.1046789658.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Chris @ 2003-03-04 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) wrote in message news:<848yvvwfh2.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>...
> Chris <chrisl_ak@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Yes... I was just hoping for something with more features for navigating
> > around large documents, viewing the document structure, etc. Either I am
> > missing these features or I've become spoiled by the great LaTeX support in
> > Emacs!
>
> I googled for "emacs docbook" and found stuff by Norman Walsh.  The
> name is promising.

Doesn't seem to offer much that PSGML doesn't though, at least as far as I can tell.

* Re: Docbook Mode?
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2732.1046789658.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-03-04 18:12         ` Chris
From: Chris @ 2003-03-04 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

jeff.rancier@softechnics.com (Jeffery B. Rancier) wrote in message news:<mailman.2732.1046789658.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>...
> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> >> Yes... I was just hoping for something with more features for navigating
> >> around large documents, viewing the document structure, etc. Either I am
> >> missing these features or I've become spoiled by the great LaTeX support in
> >> Emacs!
> >

> Try http://xae.sunsite.dk or http://xslt-process.sourceforge.net/
> Jeff

XAE is a packaged emacs with PSGML, etc. This is fine and what I am
already using. What is missing is something to take some of the
drudgery out of navigating around large documents and creating
cross-refernces... that kind of thing. I am only on the third chapter
and becoming incredibly weary of dealing with the markup already!

Thanks for the pointer to the second... it looks promising.

I think I will likely just go back to LaTeX for this book project
though :)

* Re: Docbook Mode?
@ 2003-03-04 18:52 ` Paul Kinnucan
From: Paul Kinnucan @ 2003-03-04 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris <chrisl_ak@hotmail.com> writes:

> What is the best mode/tools to edit Docbook with Emacs? Is there anything
> that is as sophisticated as AucTeX/RefTeX in terms of document navigation
> and dealing with large documents (I love using RefTeX to navigate through
> the TOC, etc)?

The XML Authoring Environment for Emacs (XAE) is a package
that converts Emacs into an authoring environment for creating
DocBook-based documents. It is available as a single download
that includes all the Emacs packages, DTDs, stylesheets, and
documentation that you need for DocBook-based authoring in
Emacs. It includes Emacs lisp and Java code that creates
a menu of useful commands, including a command that converts
DocBook-based xml documents to html and displays them in
your system's browser.

See http://xae.sunsite.dk for more information.

- Paul

* Re: Docbook Mode?
@ 2003-03-04 20:53         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-04 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

chrisl_ak@hotmail.com (Chris) writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) wrote in message news:<848yvvwfh2.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>...
>>
>> I googled for "emacs docbook" and found stuff by Norman Walsh.  The
>> name is promising.
>
> Doesn't seem to offer much that PSGML doesn't though, at least as
> far as I can tell.

A pity.  At first sight, it looked promising.  But maybe Norman would
augment it if you ask?

* Re: Docbook Mode?
@ 2003-03-04 22:51 ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2003-03-04 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What is the best mode/tools to edit Docbook with Emacs? Is there
> anything that is as sophisticated as AucTeX/RefTeX in terms of
> document navigation and dealing with large documents (I love using
> RefTeX to navigate through the TOC, etc)?

I don't know much about the subject, but had been meaning to look into
for a long time since I saw this URL:

  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hoenicka_markus/ntsgml.html

Not sure if it would be useful to you...

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.

* Re: Docbook Mode?
@ 2003-03-05 17:19   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2003-03-05 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Masterson <David.Masterson@synopsys.com> wrote in

>> What is the best mode/tools to edit Docbook with Emacs? Is there
>> anything that is as sophisticated as AucTeX/RefTeX in terms of
>> document navigation and dealing with large documents (I love using
>> RefTeX to navigate through the TOC, etc)?
>
> I don't know much about the subject, but had been meaning to look into
> for a long time since I saw this URL:
>
>   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hoenicka_markus/ntsgml.html
>
> Not sure if it would be useful to you...

This was just mentioned in the last day or two.

Go to

http://xae.sunsite.dk/

for a full featured docbook download for emacs.

* Re: Docbook Mode?
@ 2003-03-08  5:10           ` Chris
From: Chris @ 2003-03-08  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) wrote in message news:<844r6ij1km.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>...
> chrisl_ak@hotmail.com (Chris) writes:
>
> > kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) wrote in message news:<848yvvwfh2.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>...
> >>
> >> I googled for "emacs docbook" and found stuff by Norman Walsh.  The
> >> name is promising.
> >
> > Doesn't seem to offer much that PSGML doesn't though, at least as
> > far as I can tell.
>
> A pity.  At first sight, it looked promising.  But maybe Norman would
> augment it if you ask?

I think what I am looking for does not exist: a RefTeX style add-on
that would allow one to more effectively deal with large Docbook
files. PSGML seems fine for editing functions and such... it just gets
rather unwieldy when working with a book size file.

* Re: Docbook Mode?
@ 2003-03-08 11:02             ` Martin Stemplinger
From: Martin Stemplinger @ 2003-03-08 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sa Mrz 08 2003 at 06:10, chrisl_ak@hotmail.com (Chris) wrote:

> I think what I am looking for does not exist: a RefTeX style add-on
> that would allow one to more effectively deal with large Docbook
> files. PSGML seems fine for editing functions and such... it just gets
> rather unwieldy when working with a book size file.

I don't know RefTeX, but maybe hier-imenu.el (available from
http://ydirson.free.fr/en/software/hier-imenu.html) is something to
help. It adds a Menu entry for the different sections of the
docbook-document making it easy to navigate. Another option might be
to use the outlining capabiliteis of psgml.

Regards
Martin

--
remove NOSPAM to answer

* Re: Docbook Mode?
@ 2003-03-14 23:59     ` Chris
From: Chris @ 2003-03-14 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

"J. David Boyd" <dave@tsc-corp.com> wrote in message news:<Xns93357D7CB9226davetsccorpcom@199.45.49.11>...
> This was just mentioned in the last day or two.
>
> Go to
>
> http://xae.sunsite.dk/
>
> for a full featured docbook download for emacs.

As far as I can tell, XAE is a full emacs installation that uses
PSGML. I'm not sure how this would interact with my existing
installation or that I need to download all that to get to the same
point I am now :) Although it looks like xae adds some goodies to make
the compilation process take less keystrokes, it doesn't appear to add
anything to the editing mode or features for the editing process.
Which is great except that I already have Emacs and PSGML with docbook
DTDs up and running.

Has anyone actually used this and can tell us more about the
experience and what it adds?

* Re: Docbook Mode?
@ 2003-03-17 20:28       ` Paul Kinnucan
From: Paul Kinnucan @ 2003-03-17 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

chrisl_ak@hotmail.com (Chris) writes:

> "J. David Boyd" <dave@tsc-corp.com> wrote in message news:<Xns93357D7CB9226davetsccorpcom@199.45.49.11>...
> > This was just mentioned in the last day or two.
> >
> > Go to
> >
> > http://xae.sunsite.dk/
> >
> > for a full featured docbook download for emacs.
>
> As far as I can tell, XAE is a full emacs installation that uses
> PSGML. I'm not sure how this would interact with my existing
> installation or that I need to download all that to get to the same
> point I am now :) Although it looks like xae adds some goodies to make
> the compilation process take less keystrokes, it doesn't appear to add
> anything to the editing mode or features for the editing process.
> Which is great except that I already have Emacs and PSGML with docbook
> DTDs up and running.
>
> Has anyone actually used this and can tell us more about the
> experience and what it adds?

It adds two things:

1) It packages all the files needed to do Docbook-based XML authoring in Emacs
   as a single distributable. Previously, setting up an XML authoring environment
   entailed going around to various sites to get the components, installing them,
   and integrating them. This is not a trivial task in my experience.

2) A set of Java-based commands that apply style sheets to documents. This includes
   a command that applies the xml-to-html stylesheet for Docbook to the xml
   file in the current buffer and then displays the result in your system's
   default HTML browser. This allows you to display a formatted view of your
   document with a single command.

- Paul

* Re: Docbook Mode?
@ 2003-03-18  2:59         ` Chris
From: Chris @ 2003-03-18  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

on 17 Mar 2003, Paul Kinnucan <paulk@mathworks.com> spake thusly:

>> Has anyone actually used this and can tell us more about the
>> experience and what it adds?
>
> It adds two things:
>
> 1) It packages all the files needed to do Docbook-based XML authoring
> in Emacs
>    as a single distributable.
[...]
> 2) A set of Java-based commands that apply style sheets to documents.

Thanks for this. I have already done the 1st, but I like the sound of the
second...

chris